Day 89 Summerside, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2019

Day 89 Summerside, PEI

Today has been an almost perfect day.  After I finished the blog last night, we had an outstanding dinner at the hotel.  (That's not really today, but I didn't write about it yesterday.)  It was one of our favorite meals of the trip.  We also got the pleasure of watching it rain and knowing we were warm and dry inside.

This morning, we awoke to bright sunshine and 70 degrees.  Our ride was excellent - good roads, ideal temperature and no chance of rain.  There were just enough hills to make us feel as if we were doing some work, but nothing that made us work too hard.  As Goldilocks said, it was just right.  

We were headed back southeast again through much of the same terrain as yesterday.  There were plenty of heavily wooded roads.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is a calm road.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerKeith,

That's the nice thing about PEI. There are lots or road like this. When you're on one, it makes for a very relaxing ride and allows you to take in the sights.

Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Of course, we still see lots of potato farms and hay fields.

This doesn't show hay or potatoes, just a nice farm picture I took.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before we reached our lunch stop at Abram Village, we were back in view of the Northumberland Strait.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our lunch stop was the highlight of the day.  When we were here two years ago, we had lunch at the Village Musical Acadien in Abram Village.  We remembered how much we enjoyed it and decided to stop there again.  While reminiscing about that lunch, we also talked about a man we met there who was very interested in our trip.  He also told us that he wanted to get a horse and buggy to travel across Canada.  He was a very nice guy and surprised us by buying our lunch, which we really appreciated.

We went in and had a good lunch and enjoyed a short performance by two Acadien musicians who were encouraging the diners to attend the full show starting a little later next door to the restaurant.  They were a lot of fun to watch.

We also spent some time talking with a couple from Montreal.  The man had some cycle touring including a ride from San Francisco to Montreal to celebrate his 64th birthday.  I'm sorry that we didn't remember their names.

As we were leaving, a man came in and walked up to Kerry, looking intently at his face.  Kerry immediately recognized him as the guy from 2017 who bought our lunch.  We couldn't believe it.  His wife said they come up for a only a week each summer and here they were again at the very same time we were.  We had a wonderful time talking and taking pictures.  

Cathy and Dennis with us. It really is a small world!!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is so, so neat....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerKeith,

You're right. I keep thinking to myself, "What are the odds"

Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We've seen lots of big wood piles at homes all over PEI.  Most people must heat with wood.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

In Abram Village, we saw what seemed to be a very neat, clean and user friendly way to stack wood.

Wood stacked atop a stone wall.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rode on into Summerside after lunch.  We'll be here for two nights.  We plan to go out and explore the town tomorrow.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 3,382 miles (5,443 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Lou HarminYou make it sound like a fun trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockWe've noticed that when we finish reading each day's entry, we both have big smiles.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockWe usually have big smiles when we finish each day - sometimes just because we are finished!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Lou HarminIt is a fun trip, Lou. It's nice to be able to share it with friends as we go. Thanks for following us.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Lou HarminLou,

IT IS!!!!

Kerry
Reply to this comment
4 years ago