Day 8 Eulonia, GA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2019

Day 8 Eulonia, GA

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're posting this a day late because we had a terrible Internet connection last night.

The shorter route gave us plenty of time to visit two Georgia historic sites.  The first place we stopped was the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation.  It was a rice plantation dating from the 1850's.  The last surviving member of the family willed it to the state when she died in 1973.  Most of the furnishing were from the family's Savannah townhouse which was sold in the 1940's.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The drawing room
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dining room
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many massive live oaks on the grounds. The oldest (not one of these) is estimated to be over 800 years old.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were also a number of these around the grounds. Who knows what it is? (Kerry knew right away.)
Heart 0 Comment 2
Alain AbbateI'm giving up on waiting for someone else to ask the question. What us it? An upside down rain guage? A still? Modern art? Humming bird feeder?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateIt's a bug trap. I don't know know how effective they are. The bugs were terrible that day. Maybe it would have been worse without the traps.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After touring the plantation, we stopped for lunch in Darien and talked with a nice couple visiting from San Diego.  They are also planning to visit Savannah and Charleston before they head home.  Maybe we'll run into them again.

The second site we saw was the Old Fort George Historic Site.  It is reconstructed, not original, but was interesting to see.  Last week we were at Fort Matanzas, seeing a fort built by the Spanish to repel the French and British from the Florida coast.  This was a British fort build to protect the Georgia coast from the  French and Spanish.  We learned that in the six years the fort was active no one died from battle, but 140 men died from  things like disease, malnutrition and accidents.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The cannons facing east across the Darien River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The was the bakery oven. Notice the historically accurate oven thermometer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The officers' quarters
Heart 0 Comment 0
The enlisted quarters
Heart 0 Comment 0
A display of surgical instruments. I couldn't get a photo of the descriptions of each instrument, but B is an amputation knife for "large limbs". N is a saw used to cut the long bones after the limb has been amputated.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Good ride today.  We had decent shoulders, light traffic and interesting sights to see along the way.  Jeanna gave a good account of the 2 attractions we saw today, but Fort King George was my favorite.  If you're ever in Darien, it's well worth the visit.  

The other attraction in Darien was B&J's Steak & Seafood.  They had a small lunch buffet that included some great southern style vegetables.  The only thing I didn't like about our lunch was we had over 20 miles left to ride, so I had to limit myself to 2 trips to the buffet.  The things we  have to sacrifice while cycling!  (I did, however, get our waitress to box up some cornbread to go)

We ended the day in what we thought was Eulonia, but where all the mailing addresses are Townsend.  Whatever its called, if we ever come this way again, we'll probable keep on riding - 'nuff said.  

Kerry

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 334 miles (538 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1