Day 51 Mystic, CT - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2019

Day 51 Mystic, CT

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a cold, wet and windy ride yesterday, today was especially nice.  It was a little cool, but sunny and the wind was at our backs most of the day.  We did have a few big hills to climb and used four on the floor once.  We had a stop, then a turn right up a short steep grade.  It was too much to tackle from a complete stop, so we just pushed up the hill and were on our way again.

Much of the route was on US 1, but we had no issues with traffic.  The road wasn't very busy most of the way.  We went through several nice Connecticut towns - Westbrook, Old Saybrook, all the Lymes, Waterford and New London.  It has gotten noticeably less urban as we travel east of New Haven.

I liked the look of this tree trunk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since I'm doing this a day late, I don't remember where I took these pictures, but they are representative of the towns we enjoyed riding through.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

One section of the ride that was not so enjoyable was crossing the Thames River on the I-95 bike trail coming into New London.

The path was narrow with metal bars on one side and a concrete wall on the other. We rode about a mile on this. Fortunately, we didn't meet any cyclists coming the other way!
Heart 0 Comment 0

In New London, we visited the Submarine Force Museum and  toured the first US nuclear submarine, the Nautilus.  From there, it was a short ride to Mystic and our AirBNB.  It is an unusual place.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,971 miles (3,172 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich McKayThis sounds like a butchered "Almond Joy" ad:

"Some days you feel like a blog...
...some days you don't!"
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lou HarminWe were in Mystic on the 10th and 11th. flew home from Green airport in Rhode Island. Good hearing of your travels. Lou and Evelyn.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago