Day 52 Mystic, CT - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2019

Day 52 Mystic, CT

This morning, we were treated to breakfast by the son of one of our Warmshowers guests.  Keith stayed with us last fall and has been following our blog.  When he found out that we would be traveling near his son Jason's home, he wanted us to get together.  It worked out well that this was a rest day for us.  Jason and his wife Katie picked us up and took us to their favorite breakfast place nearby.  The breakfast was excellent and the company was great.  We had fun getting acquainted with them and hope that we get a chance to see them again.

Thanks Jason and Katie (and you too, Keith!).
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI love to see smiles! Thanks you four for making me smile!!!! Now get back on the machine and pedal north!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After breakfast, we walked across the street from our AirBNB (about which more later) to the Mystic Seaport Museum.  It was a beautiful day and we had a good time.  The place is very large and I took a few pictures sporadically.  

The Charles W. Morgan is a whaler that is one of the showpieces of the museum. There is a whole building about the history of whaling ships.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys climbed up to take down the sails. Kerry could hardly bear to watch.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One cool thing we enjoyed seeing was RC model boats.  There were some beautiful models.

We had never seen an RC sail boat before. It was fun watching the owner sail it into the wind. it was also surprising how fast it would go downwind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This boat was so big that two men struggled to lift it into the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I always have to take pictures of interesting bicycles.

It looks like an old penny farthing modified to a trike.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This one is not a museum exhibit.  It was parked at the entrance.

It's a Brompton folding bike, made in London.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a break from the museum and walked into the town of Mystic.  It is pure tourism, but a nice place to walk around.  The coolest thing was the old drawbridge.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat whole area is so pretty. You’ll see more of that along your travels in New England. Be safe on those tight roads
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

A better view of the counterweights.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A view of the Mystic River
Heart 1 Comment 0

I said I'd have more about our AirBNB.  This place is a trip.  It's in the basement and is decorated in a way that is really overwhelming to my minimalist sensibilities.

Dressing table in the bedroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the bedroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
The living area. There is white fake fur everywhere!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entry
Heart 1 Comment 0
And, the owner even sells her stuff in the apartment.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we will ride in a new cycling state for us, Rhode Island, and we'll be spending the night and cycling with friends.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0