Day 33 Snow Hill, MD - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2019

Day 33 Snow Hill, MD

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another nice day, another view of the Atlantic (now 22 days out of 33 travel days), another new state (Maryland makes 6) and another lovely place to stay - the River House Inn in Snow Hill, MD.

We started the day with a ride around Chincoteague Island.  It was busy on Memorial Day, but not mobbed.  The island still has an old beach town vibe, without being over run with a lot of huge hotels and mega beach houses.

Attractive houses on the bay side
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Chincoteague Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
The derelict boat provides atmosphere.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we tooled around the island a little, we rode across the causeway to Assateague Island.  There is a bicycle and pedestrian wildlife loop that's about three miles long.  

Assateague Island
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Wildlife Loop
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the loop
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the loop
Heart 1 Comment 1
I walked up a sandy path to get today's picture of the Atlantic Ocean.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is all part of the Assateague Island National Seashore.  After riding the loop, we headed to the Visitor's Center to learn more.  We learned that the guy at the "welcome desk" was very unwelcoming.  He wouldn't allow us to leave the bike parked in front of the building on a VERY wide paved entrance walkway.  He wouldn't make any other suggestions about where we could park it and he was just rude.  The other two staffers at the desk just stared into the distance and didn't say a word.  It was very unpleasant, so we just left.  National Park Service people are usually helpful and friendly, but these were a sorry excuse for "public service" employees.

Grumpy guy and disinterested staffers
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDad isn’t it. Sad mean people with no life...pass them by.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Our bike is clearly an obstacle at the entrance!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided not to take a boat ride out to see the famous Chincoteague horses.

Our route took us back over the long causeway we came across yesterday to the island.  Once we got back to the mainland, we had just a little over 20 miles to go.  We took a lunch break at a Royal Farms deli.  It was OK.  I had their "famous chicken salad" and it was pretty good.

We entered Maryland a few miles north.  There was no sign welcoming us to Maryland or even marking the state line.  What we got was much better - this wonderful wide shoulder and bike friendly signage.  That is a nice welcome for cyclists.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This kind of shoulder makes us so happy!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride through Maryland was all farms with a few tiny communities.  It's really blurry, but I had to add this picture.  We thought is was a big dog in the yard, but it's a big billy goat!

Heart 0 Comment 0

The only place we could find at all to stop in the last 20 miles was a bar in the little community of Stockton.  It didn't make me look forward to stopping there to ride past businesses and homes that mostly looked like this.

Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this house was actually occupied.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Timeless Tavern didn't look as bad the buildings shown above from the outside, but it wasn't appealing.  However, it was just fine inside.  The other customers provided some entertainment and we enjoyed our lemonade.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThere is a nice boardwalk coffee shop in Bethany my friends. Can’t remember name but you can’t miss it the boardwalk is short. They have seats outside - stop and enjoy.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Our B&B tonight in Snow Hill is very nice and we got here early enough to relax and enjoy it.  Tomorrow we have a short  ride to Fenwick Island, DE to see our good friends Ann, John and Aline.  We'll have time for a leisurely breakfast before we leave.  

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,295 miles (2,084 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0