Day 32 Chincoteague, VA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2019

Day 32 Chincoteague, VA

Nothing bad happened today!

Heart 0 Comment 0

No whining or complaining today.  It was a very good day.  The route was good, the scenery was enjoyable, there was very little traffic and nothing was damaged, broken or lost!

We had a lazy morning and didn't leave the hotel until about 10:30.  We rode the back roads north past more farms and today lots of chicken farms, which are more like chicken factories.  We saw signs for Tyson and Perdue growers.

I'll tell today's story with pictures.

We had very quiet country roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have passed numerous small, old family cemeteries. Some, like this one, are surrounded by farm fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I saw this old, overgrown cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the far end of it, was this area of newer markers, very well tended. There must be a story here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was an interesting sight. Is this small house or shed being moved or demolished?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry is interested in anything to do with logging or lumber.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It got up to the upper 80's this afternoon, but we had enough shady stretches to stay comfortable.
Heart 1 Comment 1
We saw a lot of this plant growing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up close, you can see that they have little seed pods. After doing a little research we determined this was rapeseed. This crop is being introduced to the Eastern Shore at the urging of Perdue, which uses the rapeseed meal as a high protein chicken feed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best place name of the trip so far
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chicken farm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of them were very large.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We decided these were more chicken factories than chicken farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Later, we went by this large Perdue chicken processing plant. It smelled much worse than the chicken houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of a part of the NASA Wallops Flight Facility. I'm not clear on what they do - launch some rockets, track satellites and train pilots learning to land on carriers were mentioned on the website.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately, the Visitor Center was closed today, so we couldn't learn about the place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the view to the south side of the Chincoteague Causeway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the view on the north side of the causeway. We were very surprised at the long row of commercial billboards. I thought they were a thing of the past in well-managed tourist areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are in a really nice Fairfield Inn tonight.  The room is very large and well furnished.  It is a perfect ending to a fine frustration and aggravation free day.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,250 miles (2,012 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1