Day 9 Glennville to Statesboro - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2016

Day 9 Glennville to Statesboro

Today was another ride through rural south Georgia. We passed pecan groves, some corn and soybean fields, tobacco fields and lots of fields of onions. We were riding within about 20 miles of Vidalia, GA of Vidalia onion fame.

Onion fields
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got our usual early start and were at the hotel before 12:30. After showers, we walked over to the local grocery for salad and fruit for lunch. Of course, Kerry and Alain spotted Tripe Fudge cake and oatmeal raisin cookies on sale, so lunch wasn't as completely healthy as it might have been.

After lunch, we walked over the Georgia Southern University Botanical Gardens. There was an early 20th century farmhouse and barn with interesting exhibits and plantings of typical southern Georgia trees and flowers.

GSU Botanical Garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bland House
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bland House
Heart 0 Comment 0

Walking back from the Botanical Gardens, we spotted this virtually obsolete and rarely seen 20th century roadside implement.

Almost obsolete roadside implement
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided we were too hot and too full from lunch to go out to dinner so we stopped in at the grocery store and bought a half gallon of vanilla ice cream. Dinner was watermelon, fudge cake and ice cream. It was perfect!

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 555 miles (893 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0