Subtropical - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2016

Subtropical

This was the home stretch for team A, traveling on increasingly familiar roads as we got closer to home. Although the roads were familiar, LOST was on the agenda. LOST is not a state of confusion, it's the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail which runs along the top of the Herbert Hoover dike that surrounds the lake.

Directions to get to LOST.
Heart 0 Comment 0
LOST runs along the top of a dike surrounding Lake Okeechobee. It's popular with local cyclists, even though it's twice as windy on top of the dike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grass in the shallows is a perfect habitat for small fish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Herbert Hoover dike is in need of repair. It's basically just a big pile of dirt with no support structure. Or was, until the army corps of engineers started repairing the 143 mile long dike. The work has been going on for years, and will continue for many more.

We had to get off of LOST and onto US 98 when we got to a section of the dike that is under repair. Our speed picked up because we were sheltered from the wind once we came down from the dike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Working on shoring up the Herbert Hoover dike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was nice to see subtropical crops, they are easier to identify.

Bananas. Since we also saw these growing in Pennsylvania, maybe they are not tropical.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Florida banana trees actually have bananas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mangos. We missed the whole mango season on this ride:(
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we left Lake Okeechobee we crossed what used to be part of the Everglades, but is now agricultural land. The major crop is sugar and there are also some sod farms.

Sugar cane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sugar plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An eagle bringing home lunch over a sugar cane field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's not a crop, but we saw lots of gators.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Florida road kill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sod farm. If any Brits are reading this, don't worry, the farm just grows grass for lawns.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm as hypocritical as the next person. Our house is built on land that also used to be part of the Everglades. I'm not just an observer, I'm part of the problem.

It was depressing to see a massive housing development as we approached West Palm Beach. The development had not been started when we left South Florida on June first. The last 40 miles were through heavily congested urban areas. The very worst roads were closest to home as we crossed Coral Springs. We know every possible route, but the sad fact is there is no bike friendly route through Coral Springs.

Birds in the cane fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At one point in time the Everglades had one of the densest concentrations of birds on the planet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saying goodbye to US 98 in West Palm Beach. We were on or near this road for the last 2 weeks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our last "tourist" stop of the trip was at a national cemetery just 30 miles from our home. We had cycled past it many times before but never stopped. After all the history we have seen in the last 3 months it seemed appropriate to stop and pay our respects. The stones, arranged with military precision, were all alike, yet each told a unique story.

One that caught my eye mentioned a sailor who had proudly served on the battleship Missouri. I can't think of any 2 words than "proudly served" to sum up the story of these veterans. Their service and sacrifice for their country, along with their pride in what they accomplished, must have been the defining moment in the lives of many of these vets.

National cemetery near our home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fitting tribute.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0