Glennville to Statesboro team A perspective - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2016

Glennville to Statesboro team A perspective

We have now left the mango and citrus trees of South Florida far behind us. After a couple of days of riding through the pine woods of North Florida and Georgia we are experiencing typical Georgia Coastal Plain crops – huge pecan trees, tobacco, corn ,beans, and even Vidalia onions.

Pecan grove
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tabaco field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vidalia onions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a blue sky and non-fluffy clouds - no help from the sun
Heart 0 Comment 0

At one point we spotted a field with cotton bolls, which seemed surprising in June. As we got closer we realized the field was actually a shallow pond covered with white water lilies. We decided the local name for such a crop is “frog cotton”.

Pretend cotton fields (water lilies)
Heart 0 Comment 0

June mornings in Georgia are surprisingly cool. It was 67 degrees when we left Glennville. The first town we reached after leaving Glennville was Reidsville, the county seat of Tattnall County. We took a ride around the town square to admire the courthouse building.

Tattnall county court house
Heart 0 Comment 0

It turned out not to be a square, but we were able to pass through the parking lot between the courthouse and the jail and emerge on the other side of the courthouse where we stopped at a McDonalds for a drink.

In front of McDonalds we admired Jeanna's handywork. Jeanna and Viktoriya needed something to cover knees in the heat. As they did not have commercial knee-coolers (only arm-coolers), they bought discounted shirts and cut them into pieces to create homemade knee-coolers. Jeanna was wearing a pair today - looks cool :-).

Homemade knee coolers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeanna's handywork
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was still relatively cool when we left McDonalds and discovered our back tire was flat. We had switched to Continental Gator Hardshell tires for this trip because we had heard they are longer lasting tires than the Vittoria Randonneur tires we normally run. This was our 3rd flat tire in only 600 miles. We normally go thousands of miles between flats on our previous tires. The verdict is still out on how long the Hardshell tires will last.

Picture perfect
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time for a fun shot
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a low millage day. Even with lots of breaks, planned and unplanned, we reached our destination in Statesboro before the day got too hot. Our hotel was next to a supermarket. We decided to skip fast food and get salads and a watermelon for lunch at the supermarket. While shopping for this healthy lunch we discovered that the supermarket also had some killer deals on raisin oatmeal cookies and chocolate cake so we stocked up on those essentials as well.

After lunch we toured the Georgia Southern campus and botanical gardens. On our way back from the gardens we pondered what to eat for dinner. We did have that chocolate cake and half the watermelon left over from lunch, but that didn’t seem like a balanced meal, so we stopped at the supermarket and got a half gallon of vanilla ice cream to go with the cake. This wholesome dinner should provide ample calories for our endeavors tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0