Day 82: West Point, PEI to Miscouche, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2017

Day 82: West Point, PEI to Miscouche, PEI

After we finished our post last night, we walked up to the top of the lighthouse. Here is the lighthouse and a view from the top.

West Point lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the top of the lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
I took the pictures through a glass window, but they came out OK.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had another warm and sunny day and great roads for cycling. We left the lighthouse motel about 9:30 and rode east, enjoying the wonderful riding conditions.

We stopped to take a picture of this pretty little dam in the community of Glenwood.

Glenwood Pond and Dam, Big Pierre Jacques River. The flight of steps to the right is a fish ladder.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our perfect riding day took a little hit after about 20 miles, because we turned south-west into a stiff headwind. We shouldn't complain. We've had far more tailwinds than headwinds so far on this trip. But, we'll just go ahead and complain a little. Our options today were a 50 mile route and a 60 mile route. The first 20 miles, we were good to go for the 60, but by the time we got to our lunch stop, we decided that 10 more miles sounded a whole lot better than 20 more miles.
Lunch was the high point of our day. We ate in Abram Village at the Resto-Bar La Trappe which is part of the Village Musical Acadien complex. Along with the restaurant, they have various musical entertainment. The food was good but what made it memorable was the people we met. Sitting at the next table were Dennis and Cathy.

Dennis and Cathy - Happy trails to you...
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've met a lot people who said they'd love to do what we're doing, some by bicycle, but most on a motorcycle or in a car or RV. Dennis is the first person whom we've met who expressed the desire to do a long distance trip by horse and buggy. He said he has the horse, but he needs to get a buggy that he and Cathy could ride in across the country. Cathy didn't quite share his enthusiasm for that idea, but he was very excited about it. Dennis and Cathy left the restaurant before we did to go listen to a music show starting next door. We finished our meal and went to pay, only to find that they had paid for our lunch. Thank-you again Dennis and Cathy. That was so nice of you. And we'll be looking for a picture of that Ohio buggy when you get it!

The two servers working at the restaurant were very friendly and definitely added to our enjoyment of our lunch. Thank you Jenna and Emma - it was a pleasure to meet you both.

Jenna and Emma, joyful servers at Resto-Bar La Trappe in the Village Musical Acadien
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here are just a couple of photos of the PEI landscape. This really is a beautiful place. We've already decided it's a place we'd like to come back and cycle again.

Southwestern PEI view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southwestern PEI view
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were planning to stay here tomorrow for a rest day, but instead will ride a short 20 miles to a motel near the Confederation Bridge after we visit the Acadian Village museum here in the morning. We have to wait for a shuttle across the bridge, bikes are not allowed. So, we thought we'd get there early Thursday morning in case there is a delay in getting the shuttle.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 3,337 miles (5,370 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0