Day 81: Tignish, PEI to West Point, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2017

Day 81: Tignish, PEI to West Point, PEI

Today we rode down the west coast of PEI along the Northumberland Strait. We expected to have wonderful views of the water for miles. What we got was miles of fog. It was warm and the roads were good, so riding wasn't a problem, but the water views were non-existent until the last few miles.

Just a little of the water visible in the fog
Heart 0 Comment 0

The only stop we made on the way today (and the only store of any kind) was at a little fishing village called Miminegash. There were several men on the dock working on their boats or traps. We learned that they were preparing for the fall lobster season. PEI has two lobster seasons. On the eastern end of the island , lobster season is in the spring and ended at the end of June. On the west end of the island, lobster season is in the fall and will start in mid-August. The lobstermen cannot use their boats to work both seasons, as they are allowed to hold only one permit. However, they can Captain in one season, and then work for someone else in the other season.

Kerry stopped to talk to one guy working on his boat and he said he and his wife were having breakfast at the Alberton Bakery when we were there the other day. As people keep telling us, it really is a small island! He told us that his wife liked cycling and they started talking about getting a tandem after seeing us.

The fishing harbor at Miminegash
Heart 0 Comment 0

The fog has lifted now in the late afternoon and we have a gorgeous view from our room. We're in a motel that is attached to the West Point Lighthouse. They have a couple of rooms in the actual lighthouse, but it's so much easier to have aground floor room we can roll the bike in that we decided against one of those.

View from our room at the West Point Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will follow the coastline again on our way to Miscouche. Maybe we’ll actually get to see the water!

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 3,287 miles (5,290 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0