Day 80: Mill River, PEI to Tignish, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2017

Day 80: Mill River, PEI to Tignish, PEI

Today was a really good day. We had perfect weather, good roads with very little traffic, beautiful scenery and met a lot of nice people.

We had miles of road like this today. It was very comfortable riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kildare River
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we were checking out of the Mill River Resort this morning, the front desk person was just amazed that we had ridden our bike all the way from Florida. She was telling everyone who came through the lobby about us. She came out and took our picture as we left. She said she was going to put it on her blog, but I'm not sure what she meant. I'll have to see if Mill River has a Facebook page or blog.

Homes on Mill River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We road on smooth very lightly traveled roads to the little town of Alberton. There we found the Alberton Bakery and Café and stopped for breakfast. A bunch of other folks did the same and the place was very busy. We a good breakfast and enjoyed meeting a couple from Rustico who were spending the day cruising on their motorcycle. She knew the guys who owned the Pines Motel where we stayed a couple of nights ago. We told her how much we liked the place.

Alberton Bakery and Café had a good breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our main destination today was the North Cape Lighthouse and Visitor Center. The ride there along the Gulf of St. Lawrence was beautiful. Kerry made some friends along the way.

Kerry made a friend with some granola.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soon, he had more friends.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the Visitor Center, we got our "Tip to Tip" certificate for going to both the easternmost and westernmost points of the island. We also went through the Wind Energy Interpretative Centre, which was very interesting. There is a large wind farm here and also a wind energy research and development facility.

Wind farm at North Cape and wind energy research facility
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Gulf of St. Lawrence from North Cape
Heart 0 Comment 0
The North Cape Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had an early dinner in Tignish and got to our B&B about 5:00PM. It's the Tignish Heritage Inn, a former Catholic girls' boarding school restored as in inn. The school operated from 1875 until the 1960's. The managers, Colleen and Peter, both had visited here when they were kids and the school was still open. It was interesting to hear about the building from people who remembered it as a school.

The Tignish Heritage Inn - a lovely old building
Heart 0 Comment 0
The garden at the Tignish Heritage Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow's ride is to another lighthouse, the West Point, where we will be staying.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 3,248 miles (5,227 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0