Day 62: Barrington, NS to Shelburne, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2017

Day 62: Barrington, NS to Shelburne, NS

We had a shorter ride today because there were several museums we wanted to see.

Our first visit was to the Barrington Woolen Mill, which was water-powered woolen mill which operated from about 1890 into the 1960's. We've been to various water-powered mills before, but this is the first woolen mill we've been to. The women who gave us a tour were very good. They were knowledgeable and entertaining. I learned one interesting new thing - what a sheep dip is. This V shaped wooden trough was buried with the top at ground level. It was filled with water and chemicals to rid the fleece of bugs and parasites. The sheep were run through it prior to shearing.

The Barrington Woolen Mill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Raceway into the mill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep dip
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carding machine
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way to the next town, we took a sparsely populated route with some beautiful coastal views.

Nice view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice view, too
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a delicious lunch of steak poutine, we arrived in Shelburne and went to three museums in town.

We went to the Dory Museum. For about 100 years, Shelburne was famous for it's dories. Kerry enjoyed talking woodworking with the boat builder at the museum.

Shelburne dories were renowned for their seaworthiness.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also went to the Shelburne County Museum and the Ross Store Museum. The Ross Store was opened in 1785 by two brothers from Florida who came here to sell goods to the growing community of Loyalists arriving from "The Colonies".
This was one of the items for sale. It was something else new I learned today.

Do you know what this object from the late 1700's is? A clue is on the right. Answer is in the next picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a candle safe. Beeswax candles left out when not in use would be eaten by mice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we finished seeing the museums, we walked along the waterfront for a bit, but it was windy and chilly, so we headed back to our warm and comfortable motel room.

Shelburne waterfront
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're supposed to have good weather tomorrow for our ride to Liverpool - it could get up to the mid-70's!

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 2,545 miles (4,096 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0