Day 61: Yarmouth, NS to Barrington, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2017

Day 61: Yarmouth, NS to Barrington, NS

Today was a good day. It was sunny and almost warm - if we stayed out of the wind it felt great.

We rode along the south shore of Nova Scotia through more of the Acadian region. Our first stop was in Argyle at a courthouse and jail museum. It was similar to the one we toured in York, Maine. The young man giving the tour was very new (his second day) and couldn't answer many questions, but it was interesting to see.

Canada's oldest courthouse and jail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Handcuffs from the late 1800's
Heart 0 Comment 0
This poor guy sits in the cell all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Restored courtroom
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not long after that, we encountered the first of two touring couples we met today. Kanji and Susie are from Kingston, Ontario and have been traveling since May 30. Like us, they aren't camping. They were headed to Yarmouth to meet up with friends. It was encouraging to me to learn that they are about ten years older than we are and still out there going strong on their bikes.

Kanji and Susie from Kingston, Ontario. Inspiring people!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at a little restaurant in Pubnico and had a good fish dinner and some excellent seafood chowder.

After lunch, we encountered the second touring couple, Josef and Vera (I'm sure I'm not spelling their names correctly) from Germany. They are here for a three month tour of Eastern Canada. Josef said they spend about six months a year cycle touring around the world.

German couple - touring Canada for three months
Heart 0 Comment 0

We liked this display along the road. These guys may be related to the prisoner we saw this morning.

We liked this display along the side of the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw a roadside park and found this when we stopped.

About the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hipson Creek stone bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last miles today were through the busy and very pretty fishing villages of Wood's Harbour and Shag Harbour.

View at Woods Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shag Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were hundreds of fishing boats and many fisheries. The most common product was live lobster. We rode out on a pier and took pictures of some big boats. You can see the tide is out.

Lobster boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lobster boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
These structures on the bank float at high tide
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're planning a short ride to Shelburne tomorrow with several historical museum visits.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 2,505 miles (4,031 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0