Day 63: Shelburne, NS to Liverpool, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2017

Day 63: Shelburne, NS to Liverpool, NS

We had a great start this morning - it was warm enough to ride without jackets right away. Our route was along a highway for the first 28 miles. There was very little traffic, a good shoulder and a tailwind, so we sailed along in the sun. There wasn't anything photo worthy in that part - just road and trees.

We stopped at a small gas station store for the day's first Diet Coke and snack about 16 miles in. The store clerk and some other customers were interested in our trip and we had fun talking to them. Just as we were getting ready to leave, I started getting bitten by little critters I was told later were black flies. I thought black flies were big things, but these were nasty little bugs that love to bite. Once we got moving, it was a lot better. I think we could pedal faster than they could fly.

We met a touring cyclist shortly after leaving the store. He was traveling alone and pulling a trailer. We would have learned more about him, but the flies were swarming and I told Kerry we had to get going.

A few miles later, we met a touring couple who were finishing a round trip from Yarmouth to Halifax and back. They were French Acadians and my lack of French skill did not allow me to understand their names. We had a nice short chat on the side of the road until the flies forced all of us to move on.

It was nice to meet you - sorry the bugs drove us away before we could talk more.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had been looking forward to leaving the highway after 28 miles and riding long the coast. We did get our first scenic views of the day, but we also get a cold wind blowing off the ocean.

A beautiful view of the Atlantic - accompanied by a cold ocean wind
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for pictures at a restaurant with an outddor seating area and met Scout and his family. We enjoyed meeting all of them, but again, were not inclined to talk for long, this time because of the cold wind.

Kerry and Scout - a very sweet labradoodle who also had a very nice family
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just up the road, we came to the Seaside Seafoods. We'd been seeing their signs for several miles advertising the "World's Best Clams". We certainly couldn't pass that up. We went in and had a fish and clams and chips combo dinner. It was very good. I don't know about "world's best", but the clams were delicious. The fried clams we've had up here have all been so much better than the tough, tasteless "clam strips" that come on so many seafood platters in the south.

It was a short ride after lunch here to our very nice Best Western in Liverpool. It's a laundry and reorganize evening, then tomorrow we go to Lunenburg. It was one of the highlights of the Maritimes trip we made with friends about 12 years and we've been looking forward to going back. The forecast is for rain, so we may get there wet, but we'll get there.

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 2,588 miles (4,165 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0