Day 60: Yarmouth, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2017

Day 60: Yarmouth, NS

Today was a sightseeing day in Yarmouth. We walked all over downtown and the waterfront and visited three museums.

The first one was the least enjoyable. It was a fishery museum which was housed on the second floor of a current fish plant. It was a scaled down version of the previous plant which had been on that site. There really wasn't a sense that you were seeing an actual historic site. We didn't learn much.

The next museum was the best. It was the Yarmouth history museum and they had a lot of interesting artifacts from Yarmouth's seagoing past. One thing they did was place "what is it?" items around for visitors to try and identify. This board is household implements.

These are assorted household implements. The answers are under the blue sheet. If you really need to know what something, leave a message in the guestbook
Heart 0 Comment 0

This thing is something I never would have guessed even existed!

You're not going to believe what this is!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I wonder if it worked.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And this one baffled both of us, but the pictures I took later at the Firefighters' Museum give you a clue.

This was housed in the historical museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
A clue to the big white ball was found in the Firefighters' Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the rescued animals
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Firefighters' Museum was fun to visit. The displays were very well done and informative.

The firefighter's Museum was very well done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early fire hose
Heart 0 Comment 0
I never thought about what hoses would have been made of before rubber.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We finished up the day with a bike ride to the local Walmart to stock up on snacks. Tomorrow we southeast around the coast to Barrington Passage.

Today's ride: 3 miles (5 km)
Total: 2,452 miles (3,946 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0