Day 59: Weymouth, NS to Yarmouth, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2017

Day 59: Weymouth, NS to Yarmouth, NS

Blue sky and almost warm - it was a great day! This morning, we met Pat, the owner of the Goodwin Hotel for the past 47 years. We had a very good bacon and egg breakfast and talked with her while we ate. We asked her about a Maud Lewis Memorial we passed yesterday a few miles away. Pat told us that she was a famous Canadian folk artist from the local area whose paintings sold for a few dollars during her lifetime (1903-1970), but now have sold for as much as $45,000. Pat has a collection of hooked rugs she has done based on Maud Lewis paintings.

Pat with some of her hooked rugs
Heart 0 Comment 0

She also had a sign given to her by her daughter which Kerry should just have tattooed on his body.

Nothing to add...
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's route was right along the Bay of Fundy shoreline for miles. The views were beautiful.

A better view of the Bay of Fundy than we had yesterday
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of high tide to show the change from yesterday's low tide picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lobster fishing is the main industry in this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode out to the Cape May lighthouse and got some great pictures. There is a public beach near the lighthouse where there were a number of families sunbathing and swimming - it was about 68 degrees by this time. We asked one woman there with her kids if the water wasn't really cold and she said yes, but they had to make use of the best days they were going to get!

Parked by the Cape Mary lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocky cliffs at Cape Mary
Heart 0 Comment 0
These little bags were spread out near the lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found out they are bait bags for lobster traps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sainte-Marie Catholic Church - very beautiful This is the Acadian region of Nova Scotia. French is the primary language, though almost everyone is bilingual. We saw a lot of French flags flying.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at a Tim Horton's and saw this couple getting on their motorcycle. The pictures don't show it as well as I hoped, but their helmets were great.

These guys had cool helmet covers
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow is a sightseeing day. We plan explore the Yarmouth waterfront and visit several local museums.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 2,449 miles (3,941 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0