Day 51: Rockport, ME to Bucksport, ME - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2017

Day 51: Rockport, ME to Bucksport, ME

Today was a good day. We had beautiful scenery, interesting places to see and good food. It was cool thus morning, so we didn't plan to leave until 10AM. That gave Kerry plenty of time to enjoy breakfast at the Schooner Bay. They had assorted home baked pastries, some egg dishes and sausage, very good fruit and the usual cereal and yogurts. Kerry loved it and tried to get me to have some too, but it just wasn't a breakfast morning for me.

We left Rockport and rode through Camden. The harbors were full of boats in both towns.

Rockport Harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Belted cows on "heirloom" farm near Camden
Heart 0 Comment 0

Past Camden, we climbed into a very hilly area.

We didn't expect to be climbing mountains today. This is just northwest of Camden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it to the top
Heart 0 Comment 0

Descending the mountain was way more fun than ascending it. When we reached the bottom, we rode along Megunticook Lake. In the lake, we saw these little islands with a house on each one.

There is a house on each little island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Belfast, we rode across the Passagassawakeag River on an old bridge restored as a pedestrian walkway.

Belfast on the Passagassawakeag River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The footbridge over the river at Belfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that, we went to Young's Lobster Pound for lunch. We were there about 25 years ago and it looked just as we remembered it. A group came in while we were eating and turned out to be "Mainiacs" who are all south-Florida snowbirds. It was nice meeting you guys.

Young's Lobster Pound - just as we remembered it
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the lobster tanks
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Florida crew at Young's
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came on to our destination in Bucksport crossing the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. There is an observatory at the top of one of the towers. We were planning to go up, but the cloud cover was so low and dense, we decided it wouldn't be worth it. The bridge itself is an impressive suspension bridge.

The Penobscot River at Bucksport
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Penobscot Narrows Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge cables
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're looking forward to our 56 mile ride to Milbridge, ME tomorrow. It may get up to 70 degrees!

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 2,109 miles (3,394 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0