Day 50: Bath, ME to Rockport, ME - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2017

Day 50: Bath, ME to Rockport, ME

What a difference 12 degrees makes! We left this morning in a very light drizzle and temperature of about 60. The forecast was for intermittent showers in the morning, becoming a steady rain in the afternoon and a high of 62. We had a very light misty rain for about 20 of the 50 miles we rode. We were wearing our long sleeves, jackets and tights, but unlike our last rainy day, we actually stayed warm today. We really never got very wet and the temperature stayed right around 60, so we didn't get the freezing toes and fingers we had last week when it was 48 degrees. We got to the motel about 3:45 and by 4:00, the steady rain had started. We just watched it from our window and smiled.

I didn't take hardly any pictures today. It wasn't good weather for photography. I got some shots of the Bath Iron Works as we rode across the Kennebec River.

Bath Iron Works from the bridge over the Kennebec River
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Bath Iron Works
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry had two people tell him yesterday about a "must visit" bike shop right across the river. They have a cool sign out front, but the shop didn't impress. We were there for less than five minutes and continued on.

Bath Cycle's sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Parked in front of Bath Cycle and Ski
Heart 0 Comment 0

The route today was about half on US 1. It was very loud and busy, but had a good, wide shoulder in most places. Here and there we took side roads through the country or through little towns and got a break from the highway. We rode through Wiscasset and Damariscotta which we both pretty towns, but very congested with traffic and people. We passed both the famous Red's Eats in Wiscasset and Moody's Diner in Waldoboro, but didn't stop at either. Today was not a good day for tourist activities.

The best sign we saw today!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head north to Bucksport.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 2,069 miles (3,330 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0