Day 32: Frenchtown, NJ to East Stroudsburg, PA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2017

Day 32: Frenchtown, NJ to East Stroudsburg, PA

We had a good ride today in spite of chilly rain and hilly terrain. We keep thinking that it will surely warm up - it's almost June! - but it is just staying very cool. I don't think we even got to 60 today. There was not a single ray of sunshine all day. It rained all night and was raining when we got up this morning. We packed up and waited for the rain to stop. About 10AM, we walked over to the Frenchtown Café for breakfast. The place was mobbed and VERY loud, but the food was good.

Note from Kerry: Be careful what you order here :-). I decided to have their cornmeal pancakes this morning and ordered full stack instead of the short stack since it was only $.80 more. BIG MISTAKE - their serving sizes are HUGE - I ate as much as I could (they were delicious), but I didn't even finish half of the stack. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, I really questioned the wisdom of eating so much once I got on our bike!

By the time we finished eating, it was almost 11AM. The rain had stopped, so we loaded up the bike, put on the rain covers and took off. We had one short shower in the afternoon, the rest of the ride was just damp and gray.

Most of the route was right along the Delaware River. We had miles of newly paved road. There was very little traffic. The first 35 miles were on the New Jersey side of the river. There were rocky cliffs on one side of the road and the river on the other. We saw several waterfalls.

River Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocky cliffs across road from river
Heart 0 Comment 0
waterfall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocky river view
Heart 0 Comment 0

At one place, there were old train cars sitting on the track and a long stretch of abandoned rails.

Old train cars on River Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old train tracks on River Road
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the town of Belvidere, NJ, we crossed the river back over to Pennsylvania.

Walking back to Pennsylvania
Heart 0 Comment 0
Delaware River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenic road
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the end of the route, we passed this yard full of what I think are rhododendron bushes. It was a cheerful burst of color on a dreary day.

Beautiful flowers in Pennsylvania yard - rhododendron, I think
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're staying at the Staybridge Suites in East Stroudsburg tonight. It was a welcome surprise to find out when we finally got here at 5:45PM that they serve a complimentary light meal with beer and wine on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. We didn't have to go back out in the cold to get something to eat.

Tomorrow is a rest day here, then on Wednesday we will ride through the Delaware Water Gap. It's supposed to be a very scenic route.

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 1,494 miles (2,404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0