Day 31: Horsham, PA to Frenchtown, NJ - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2017

Day 31: Horsham, PA to Frenchtown, NJ

Today was a very good day in many ways. It was warm, we had only about 1200 feet of climbing, the route was only 41 miles and we met a bunch of nice people. When we left the motel this morning, we didn't even need to start with our jackets. We rode through attractive residential areas in the far north Philadelphia suburbs until we got out into the country again.

Canada geese and mallards relaxing by a pond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quaint cottage in the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles into our ride, we saw Pixie again. This was the last time we would see her, as she was diverging from our route at the New Jersey line to head to eastern Connecticut. Have a good trip home, Pixie. It was nice meeting you.

The last town in Pennsylvania today was New Hope. Coming into town, we saw this interesting old ruin and the sign nearby. You can't see it in the photo, but there appeared to be sheets hanging inside a ground floor window and there was an old Jeep parked in the back. We wondered if someone were living there.

Mill ruins
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mills at New Hope, PA
Heart 0 Comment 0

From New Hope, we walked across the bridge to Lambertville, NJ. New Hope seemed to be an artsy tourist town and full of cyclists as well. The bridge was carrying many more cars into Pennsylvania than into New Jersey.

Everybody is coming from New Jersey to Pennsylvania
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing bridge from New Hope, PA to Lambertville, NJ
Heart 0 Comment 0

Halfway across the bridge, we entered state #8, New Jersey.

Entering New Jersey, state #8
Heart 0 Comment 0

As soon as we crossed the bridge, we got onto the Delaware and Raritan State Park Trail. It isn't paved, but had a hardpack gravel surface.

Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park bike path
Heart 0 Comment 0

We didn't read anything about the history of the canal, there were some beautiful views.

Delaware River
Heart 0 Comment 0
D&R Canal
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had an interesting reversal of attitudes on the trail. Usually, I am more in favor of trails over roads, with Kerry almost always preferring to ride on the road. This time, I wanted to get on the road to avoid the gravel surface and Kerry wanted to stay on the trail to avoid the road traffic. After a few miles on the trail, we could see the road (which was immediately adjacent) had a nice wide shoulder. We moved over to the road and stayed on it the rest of the way into Frenchtown.

Bike lane on Rte. 29
Heart 0 Comment 0

The right side of the road, away from the river, was a steep cliff. It's a little hard to see in the pictures. We passed a few waterfalls coming down the rocks.

Cliffs along Rte. 29
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waterfall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waterfall 2
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got into Frenchtown and found another little town full of tourists. I think it's recreation on the river that brings a lot of people here. Again, there were lots of cyclists. We checked into out hotel, the National. It is an old restored building (no elevators) and our room is on the 3rd floor. We parked the bike downstairs and carried our stuff up.

The National Hotel, Frenchtown
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then had a late lunch at the Frenchtown Café. When we walked in, we were told that they were just about to close the kitchen, but were glad to take our order. We had soup and salads, which were very good, and then had a good time talking with the staff. They were all very friendly and we enjoyed meeting them. These are the kind of places that make our trips so memorable.

The Frenchtown Café - Grandpa Frank is the greeter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Servers Liz, Cayla, Morgan, and owner's son Peter and his grandpa Frank at the Frenchtown Café. Thanks for a great time!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will spend the night in East Stroudsburg PA

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,441 miles (2,319 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0