Wildflowers on Wasson Peak - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2023

Wildflowers on Wasson Peak

Brigitte says Wasson Peak is the hike to do for wildflowers. She hikes up to the summit every year. Lots of folks go to  Picacho Peak for the flowers around this time; I've heard it's a zoo now. We should much less of a crowd here. 

At 4,687 feet, Wasson is the highest point in the Tucson Mountain Range. The trail to the summit goes through Saguaro National Park where we can spend another day with some of the happiest saguaros around.

Knowing what the work ahead of us will be like, Brigitte knocks on our door at 8:30 to get things rolling. Hank would come along too but for some foot problems he's having with his hiking boots. He has a new pair on order from REI -good timing with the annual member coupon deal. 

We have a perfect day for a big hike. It's in the 60s under partly cloudy skies. A light breeze keeps us cool. Right off the bat we walk past lots of flowers  on the Miner's Gould trail - blue, orange, pink, white and of course the perennial yellows.

Lupines and poppies I believe
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looks like Apache Hedgehog cactus
Heart 2 Comment 0
Early in the game, we're feeling the Energizer bunny
Heart 2 Comment 0
Brittlebush, and wonderfully distracting views
Heart 1 Comment 0
Orange plumes are starting to bloom on the ocotillos
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crested Barrel Cactus, a new one for us
Heart 1 Comment 0
Really nice section of the trail here, a break from the steep rocky bits
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsStill looks pretty steep to me. Nobody bothers to cut stairsteps into flat terrain... :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsTrue enough. Doesn't seem so steep without the ankle turners to pick our way around.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
While I'm dragging, Barry and Brigitte seem to be accelerating up the last mile to the peak. A snack would have helped at this point if I'd thought of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The summit looks so close, we just have to power through that trail wrapping around it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Glad I brought the good boots today. This trail is no joke.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At last! We have a 360 degree view from the peak, looking out here at Mount Lemmon and the city below.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Making a desert angel feels nothing like a snow angel on these pointy little rocks. Still, it's nice to be horizontal.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There's plenty of space at the summit where at least a dozen other hikers are spread out. We've passed several parties on the way but its not what I would call crowded. After a good break for lunch, we start back down on the Kings Canyon trail, then veer off through a wide wash for the last mile, stopping to check out some petroglyphs.

Desert Globemallow on the switchback
Heart 1 Comment 0



Desert Dandelion and Lupine
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like maybe a few pincushions lower left.

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=2869
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltBy George I think you're right. I'm amazed you could spot them from this photo.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Silly shot among the poppies, a good excuse to sit for a bit
Heart 2 Comment 0
Petroglyphs on the walls by the wash
Heart 0 Comment 0
Penstemon around the steep steps down the wash.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the end I'm happy with our time. We covered 8+ miles in 4 1/2 hours including a lunch break. Hugs to Brigitte for pointing us to yet another beautiful place.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 743 miles (1,196 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNice photos! Good job on the IDs too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamThanks! I have an old book on Desert Wildflowers of the Southwest. This is the first time I've really used it. The rains have made it quite an inspiring year to be here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago