El Presidio San Agustin de Tucson - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2023

El Presidio San Agustin de Tucson

A day to be turistas

We were stoked for a ride up and down the Mission Road today, but the forecast for 35 mph wind gusts blew that plan away. Instead we'll explore some of Tucson's history at the Museum of El Presidio San Agustin de Tucson.

The museum is a recreation of the fort where Tucson was founded in 1775 at the northern reach of the Spanish empire. The presidio was built to protect the soldiers, settlers and O'odham people who lived here from Apache attacks. It's an neat place to learn about the people living on the frontier and their struggles to survive.

Flags of Spain, United States, Arizona and Mexico flying at the Presidio museum
Heart 0 Comment 0



Spanish soldiers wore long heavy vests made from seven layers of deerskin, tough enough to stop an arrow
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pit houses like this recreation would have sheltered a family of four native people 2000 years ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mural depicting life in the Presidio
Heart 1 Comment 0

There's a lot to do in this colorful neighborhood. We enjoy a little window shopping at the Old Town Artisan Shops, and in the courtyard in the middle of the shops we find lunch and live music at La Co - short for La Cocina.

Garden wall around the artisan's shops
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful doorways to the shops
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the galleries at Old Town Artisans
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch in the courtyard at La Co
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch we see that we're just steps from the Tucson Art Museum, and spend a few hours taking in their wonderful collection of Southwestern and South American art.

A special exhibit called "Nothing in Stasis" is a collection of Monica Aissa Martinez's portraits of family and friends. Her complex drawings and paintings of their biological and anatomical structures celebrate the connections between body, mind, and spirit.

Monica Aissa Martinez's "Portrait of Sophie" is a study of a friend’s daughter who has Down’s Syndrome. I'm spellbound by her intricate drawing of Sophie's physiology and spirit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A block from the art museum stands the historic Pima County Courthouse. Designed by Tucsonian Roy Place and completed in 1929, it reflects Spanish colonial and Moorish influences on the architecture of the Southwest. Outside the courthouse is a memorial to the victims of  the mass shooting on January 8th 2011 that killed six people and injured 13, including U.S. Rep Gabrielle Giffords.

Pima County Courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

We've seen all these treasures within three or four blocks. I'm sure there's more we missed. We'll get back to the Mission Road next trip. For today we've really enjoyed taking the opportunity to be tourists.

My favorite of the five murals we've walked by today, adorning the wall by the lot where we parked.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0