Iris O. Dewhirst Trail - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 18, 2023

Iris O. Dewhirst Trail

Hiking with Barb

We're meeting up with our friend Barb Jones again today, to hike one of her favorites - the Iris O. Dewhirst Trail in Pima Canyon. The trail honors Dewhirst, a former member of the Pima County Board of Supervisors who worked to protect this and other natural areas in the county. As we walk the first part of the trail between barbed wire marking homeowner property lines, I appreciate her efforts to preserve this corridor for us to enjoy.

It's in the 60s and partly cloudy, a perfect day for a hike.  The wildflowers are beginning to multiply here as we've seen all around town.

Near the trailhead. We've seen so many cool and unique bridges in Tucson.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Starting up the easy part
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail generally follows Pima Wash, climbing into the western Santa Catalina mountains. After an easy warm-up it soon becomes quite rocky and steep, crossing the wash a few times. Normally dry, there's quite a bit of water here now, making for some fun creek crossings on the rocks. The sounds of the water gurgling down the canyon mixed with the birds' singing are quite enchanting. You can go as far as 10 miles here. We're ready to turn around after about a mile and half, making it a good three mile day.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clouds of Brittlebush billow in the breeze. We're seeing them on trails all over Tucson now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Water break near the turnaround
Heart 2 Comment 0

Barb's partner was Art Chadek, Barry's best friend since fifth grade. Kind-hearted and fun-loving with a wicked wit, Art was always up for a bike ride or a paddle or an evening around the campfire. They both had a lot to do with our fondness for Tucson, welcoming us warmly on our first post-retirement visit here. His death two years ago was a terrible loss, but he left us with many happy memories of our adventures together.

Best buddies since fifth grade. This was at the San Francisco airport when Art picked us up for our first bike tour down the California coast in 2014. He rode out with us the first day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barb and Art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks for the cookies Barb! So wonderful to spend some more time with you on this visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0



Today's ride: 3 miles (5 km)
Total: 735 miles (1,183 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0