Sweetwater Preserve - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2023

Sweetwater Preserve

Quick post in my campaign to catch up...

About 10 miles west of downtown near Tucson Mountain Park,  Sweetwater Preserve is a 880 acre county park with 14 miles of hiking and biking trails. Hank and Brigitte rode with us here in February but we didn't take any pictures. We're doing the same course today. About half the trails are beginner level, and it's a different sort of ride than what we've done near the RV Park, with few washes and more curvy turns. If we had anything like this at home I'd be out there all the time. It's just plain fun.

The clouds on this day seem to intensify the colors of the desert, and the wildflowers are really starting to shine. We have some success riding the intermediate trails, but I'm still happy to hike the bike around the big rocky sections. All in good time. 

Easy riding
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice view of the city from up here
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can't believe how green it is out here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fairy dusters
Heart 1 Comment 0
The new storm trooper helmet feels lighter than it looks. I don't think about it unless I'm trying to get to the hydration tube.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltYellow flowers are Gordon's bladderpod.

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=79

Blue ones are some species of Phacelia, probably Pope's Phacelia.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/166604/browse_photos

White ones are Lyre-Leaf Jewelflower... a new one for me!

https://swbiodiversity.org/seinet/taxa/index.php?taxon=1162
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks Bill, I'm really glad to know what these are.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
It's easy if you know how
Heart 2 Comment 0

I'm loving this groove we have going of alternating trail days and road days. Mountain bike rides get us deeper into the Sonoran desert and a regular shot of adrenaline. Days when we ride the roads and bike paths are a chance to explore more of Tucson, build more base miles and feel the wind in our hair.

After dinner the clouds have lightened up enough to make a beautiful evening for the sunset. With just a week to go before we pull up stakes here, we're savoring every day.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 8 miles (13 km)
Total: 691 miles (1,112 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI really love mtb trail riding in AZ. Here is a link to a shot of my brother riding on a trail at Lost Dutchman State Park, just east of
Apache Jct. back in about 2013.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10200753153327306&set=a.10200730447879684
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat photo is some buried treasure Bill. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like mountain biking but since I've become more comfortable out there it's a gas.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago