Mount Lemmon the easy way - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2023

Mount Lemmon the easy way

We've done a handful of good climbing rides here, flirting with the idea of taking on Mount Lemmon. Our days in Tucson are dwindling; its time to put up or shut up.

I was thinking about this as preparation for Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park. It certainly would be good for the mental game, but with that trip more than two months out I'm not sure how much difference the physical workout would make at this point.

The 8,000 feet of ascent on Lemmon is three times what we did in Madera Canyon. As we crawled up the canyon I had lots of time to imagine doing it three times in a row, with more traffic. The descent reminded me how much I dislike going downhill fast.  I've heard people who have done this talk about how important it is to have good brakes. My clinchers don't inspire confidence.

Of course the scenery would be amazing. Beyond that, the best reason to do it that I can come up with is “If not now, when?" Sounds pretty weak stacked up against the reasons to pass. Maybe never?

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who takes this on, but you can see where this is going. Let's shut up and drive.

Windy Point Vista, at the tip of a long switchback on Mount Lemon Highway
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back at the big switchback.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
There's one restaurant open at the top today - the Iron Door, across from the ski resort. Bit of a wait for a table, but it's worth it just for the peach-blueberry pie.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yesterday was the last day the lifts were open, probably for awhile until they get more now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful day for a drive!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0