Madera Canyon Two-Step - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

March 8, 2023 to March 11, 2023

Madera Canyon Two-Step

One more dance around Mount Wrightson

Gadzooks! I've let the lag time on the journal creep past the week mark. Let's chop a few days off that block.

We wrapped up our tour of Santa Cruz County a week ago Wednesday, driving back to Tucson the long way through the Sonoita-Elgin wine region. Last year on a ride we stopped in Elgin at the Autumn Sage Vineyards. It was on a Sunday afternoon when they had live music, a food truck and NCAA basketball on the big screen, quite the party atmosphere. We were impressed by their wines, most of which are made from grapes grown around Willcox Arizona.

There's the sign I was thinking of, in a style similar to the one we saw in Patagonia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Festive afternoon on a Sunday at Autumn Sage Vineyards last year
Heart 0 Comment 0

This time we decided to check out their neighbor, Deep Sky Vineyards. Wednesday is a quieter time and we had the undivided attention of Shanna in the tasting room. After a good sampling, we enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio with a little picnic of cheese, salami and grapes, while gazing at the rolling golden grasslands and Mount Wrightson to the west.

Thanks to Shanna for a delightful visit at Deep Sky Vineyards
Heart 3 Comment 0
We have the patio to ourselves
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mount Wrightson is a dominating presence on the western horizon in the Sonoita-Elgin region.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Thursday was another easy day. While Barry attended to some bike maintenance, I doodled around on the trails, sessioning some of the washes that bedeviled me and soaking up some quiet time in the Sonoran desert.

Going out to pick up the pace a bit on the washes
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a couple slack days, the legs are feeling good so today we're going for one more dance with Mount Wrightson on a ride up Madera Canyon. With Mount Lemmon still a possibility rattling around in our heads, however remote that may be, we can use another climbing workout. At 2,800 feet of ascent, today's ride is less than half the 8,000 feet going up on Mount Lemmon, but it should give us some idea of what that could feel like.

In Green Valley we pack some sandwiches and walking shoes on the bikes. We should have some time for a short hike from the Mount Wrightson picnic area at the end of the road.

The ride out from Green Valley is easy and pleasant through a nice area with light traffic. We turn east on Continental Road, passing pecan orchards and crossing the Santa Cruz once again, which is dry here. A gentle climb starts on White House Canyon Road, then gets more meaningful on Madera Canyon Road where the average grade is 6 percent. It's doable, we just have to keep cranking.

Cruising through Green Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road slopes up toward Madera Canyon
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of time to study the Arizona Sycamores as I poke along
Heart 2 Comment 0
We can see the snow on the mountain more clearly now
Heart 3 Comment 0

With less than two miles to go, Barry stops to put on a sweatband. Generally whenever I can get ahead of him he enjoys the chance to pick up the pace and catch me, so I keep poking along at a turtle's pace. With less than a mile to go I stop for a bio break and wait for him at a shady spot. A creek gurgles alongside the road and I amuse myself listening to the birds and taking a few bad pictures. I'm not sure how much time passes, maybe 15 minutes before I really start to wonder what's up.

Lots of birdsong by the creek. I have no game for capturing them on camera.
Heart 1 Comment 0
He should be cresting the hill any moment now...
Heart 2 Comment 0

Checking my phone I find there's no service here. Rats. Clearly the time for waiting is over so I start back down the canyon. Barry isn't where he stopped, and now I'm really worried. A few miles further down my phone is back on the grid. When we finally connect I find out he's well on his way back to the car. What a relief.

Turns out that when he stopped, Barry was distracted by sweat in his eyes and did not notice that I was ahead of him. So he was waiting for me, I was waiting for him, we're both beset with needless worry and it was all avoidable if I'd just checked with him before continuing. My bad, an epic communication fail.

Lots of time to replay my error on the way back down.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Lucky for me, he's quick to forgive. Over ice cream at Culver's we consider our unfinished business in Madera Canyon. We were so looking forward to going back there. Last year we did a beautiful hike to Josephine Saddle with Brigitte, one of the best hikes of the trip. We wouldn't have had the time for that hike and a ride up the canyon on the same day.

So close!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Which brings us to Saturday. This time we’ve left the bikes at the park and brought the hiking boots that have languished under the trailer since we got here. The drive back up Madera Canyon is just as beautiful today, all the way to the trailhead this time. I find one pair of trekking poles in the car we can share, I guess the other ones are back at the RV. Good enough.

We start up the Old Baldy Trail, the steepest, shortest trip up to Josephine Saddle at 2.7 miles. The rocky switchbacks are challenging and slippery slush from the recent snow still lingers in the shady woods. Several families with young kids are out there with us, doing pretty well on the tricky rocks. 

Yippee, a real hike!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

At 7,100 feet we round the corner to Josephine Saddle and walk out to the best view we'll get of Mount Wrightson. After all the time we've circled around it through Santa Cruz County over the last week it's very satisfying to be here today.

Majestic Mount Wrightson, Tucson's tallest peak at 9456 feet
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice spot for lunch at Josephine Saddle
Heart 2 Comment 0

We start back down on the Super Trail, a longer trip with a gentler grade that's easier on the joints. It's more exposed and warmer in the afternoon than Old Baldy. I'm glad we're going down this way rather than up.

Looking back at Green Valley
Heart 3 Comment 0
Easier walking down the Super Trail
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Close to the end we cross a brook where water from the melting snow rushes down the canyon
Heart 2 Comment 0

The 6.5 mile trip is a pretty big one considering we haven't done much hiking to speak of in almost two months, but we're feeling good. All the bike miles surely helped. We'll call this a wrap for Mount Wrightson.

Happy to finish this one together
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonI can really relate to your anxiety over losing each other for so long. We’ve done that one more than once ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonIt's definitely an experience I don't want to repeat Scott.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 668 miles (1,075 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonLooks like a great hike, if you’re down there late enough in the year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonIndeed, I heard there was more snow and ice just a few weeks ago that made it a tougher go.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago