Unwell Rider - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2021

Unwell Rider

Cowell to Cleve

This morning we set our ride goal from Cowell to Lock via the Birdseye Highway, and we rolled along well to the village of Cleve 42 km from Cowell. The road was quiet, scenic and undulating enough to be fun but not too hard. 

Joel and I arrived in Cleve by 10:30 am, well ahead of Ian who is usually a much faster rider than either of us. The reason for Ian being uncharacteristically in third place in our small, casual peloton soon became apparent when he arrived. He was unwell with symptoms of vertigo and nausea.

Fortunately there was a small medical centre nearby and the locum doctor kindly provided an appointment within 10 minutes. The diagnosis was (as expected) vertigo with rest and a standard medication being the treatments. Hence we have stayed in Cleve today and overnight so Ian can recover. By late afternoon he was looking and feeling much better. 

With the afternoon to use, I did a few tasks such as post a few unwanted kilos of stuff home, talked by phone to a potential media interviewer and looked around Cleve. 

The Eyre Peninsula. We arrived by ferry at Cowell on the east coast. Now we are heading across the peninsula to the west coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cowell has many interesting heritage buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of at least two grand looking pubs in Cowell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another of Cowell’s stone buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other eye catching pub and where we ate last night. Excellent seafood restaurant in the Commercial Pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Birdseye Highway heading west. Joel is in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good to see native cypress trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local shop owner Di struck up a conversation with Joel and me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cleve had one unusual feature. Loudspeakers broadcast commercial radio non-stop throughout the Main Street area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cleve wall mural
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ian’s camp. Rest and recovery here after a case of vertigo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
By late afternoon Ian was up and cooking himself a healthy meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,421 km (882 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
John SaxbyEnjoying the heritage buildings large & small, Graham -- thanks for those details.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago