The Longest Day - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2021

The Longest Day

Hay to Balranald

This morning we were riding by 7:15 am. The 137 km road to Balranald was almost hill free, however it was not headwind free for most of the day. Traffic was light, the Sturt Highway shoulder was reasonably wide for most of the ride. Extra care was needed as road trains went by fairly often. Drivers were considerate and usually gave us wider berth than needed.

This morning our group, which had been temporarily four riders, became three riders again,  as John was collected from Hay by friends Mark and Carol (with a vehicle to do an alternative ride on an unsealed section to an area called Teds Corner. It’ll be interesting to hear how this tour goes. We may cross paths with them again in Renmark.

After a long days ride, we arrived in Balranald to discover there was no accommodation other than camping, due to a rodeo event being held this weekend. The riverside campground was fine, with excellent amenities and easy access to town.

The pub had excellent meals and so did the bakery at the Visitor Centre.

Broad acre irrigation unit
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pete and Lisa McCrabb very kindly drove about 50 km from their property to meet us with a roadside morning tea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The service road running parallel to the highway
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s flat. That’s Ian and Joel in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Hay Plain ... sandy soil, saltbush and flat topography
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cloud cover and a light headwind for most of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset a few kilometres from Balranald
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 137 km (85 miles)
Total: 686 km (426 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0