We fall in love with Poznan - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2014

We fall in love with Poznan

The market that we walked through every day had a number of flower stalls. Some of these stalls stayed open very late. Bringing flowers when you visit someone must be a tradition in Poland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
While we were in Poznan we found two large open air markets. We usually bought fresh vegetables and fruit for our meals from these markets
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ultimate snack food- sunflowers
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've thought of growing the big sunflowers and having sunflower seeds to munch on. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Cabbages and potatoes- key ingredients in Polish cooking
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were many stalls selling clothing
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman was in the process of trying on a new bra
Heart 1 Comment 0
We took a tram to the outskirts of Poznan to have a tour of the Lech brewery. When we got off the tram we were surprised to find a huge IKEA store close to the brewery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had an excellent tour of the Lech brewery. We were only allowed to take photos in the brew room and inside the visitor centre. There were only four of us on the English tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Normally, the ticket price for a tour is 12 zloty ( about 3 euros). The woman asked us if we were pensioners (60+). We were only charged 6 zloty for the tour and a cold beer at the end of the tour. We see very few women with gray hair in Poland. Most women colour their hair. Burgundy being the most popular colour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just as we ordered our complimentary beer, the barrel had run dry. After changing the barrel and eliminating the foam, the bar keeper poured us two delicious Lech beers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most people in Poznan live in small flats in apartment buildings. We didn't see any houses in the city. It was interesting at IKEA to wander through two interactive floorplans that were 25 sq. metres and 55 sq. metres
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike paths in the city were seldom used by cyclists. Pedestrians wandering along the bike paths only moved when they heard a cylist's bell ringing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every day we stopped at this amazing deli/butcher to buy food for our dinner. We tried a variety of different perogies, including some that are a dessert perogy
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThose look like dumplings. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The staff at the deli were very friendly. No one spoke english but we somehow always were able to order delicious food every time we shopped there. We have found Polish people to be very friendly and when asked are eager to help us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were both desperate for haircuts. It has been almost three months since our last haircuts. Mary Ellen was looking around a clothing store and asked the owner where she got her short hair cut. We were directed down the street to this establishment. We knew we had found a good place as many people were waiting for a haircut. Mary Ellen was ushered into the back room where women were getting their hair coloured or cut. I was in the front room. The owner of the salon cut my hair. I could see that he was a master at his craft from the many trophies around the room. All the stylists used scissors only. It was like the movie Edward Scissorhands.The scissors moved with alarmingly high speed. However, the results were excellent. No english was spoken. By using hand signs I asked for my beard to be trimmed.Immediately, the chair went back like I was in a dentist's chair.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0