Our first full day in Poznan, Poland - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2014

Our first full day in Poznan, Poland

We are really liking our apartment. Nespresso coffee machine, dishwasher, great bathroom and comfortable bed. Our view is of large trees with no traffic and we are eager to set off. Yesterday we walked for miles exploring Poznan and today we have decided to buy the 72 hour tram ticket. We discovered that with the rate increase, the time per ticket is only 10 minutes. We can see why locals are upset with the change in the fare structure.
We are excited to get out and explore the city and surrounding area. I have a feeling that we won't be taking the train for day trips to other places....our sense is that Poznan offers us plenty to see and do. Just absorbing the rich culture and street life should keep us occupied.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Day 2 and this is our second Milk Bar. When we asked at the Tourist Office about Milk Bars, she was surprised and said "Are you kidding?" We explained that we like to eat good local food and do not need a fancy restaurant. Plus we like the prices. The most expensive meal is under 2 euros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perogies filled with cheese and garnished with bacon - tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A side dish of a salad sampler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Desert perogies with browned butter, cinnamon, berries and cream - very good.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAt first I thought they were scallops! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Typical decor for the Milk Bars we ate at - clean and simple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It must be Poland - a street musician playing the accordion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyday we would visit this market as we walk past it to the tram stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cabbage is a popular vegetable for many dishes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old brewery has been turned in to a gigantic shopping mall. We enjoyed the inventive architecture, both inside and out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the statue of Old Marych. He is the fictional citizen of Poznan created by actor Marian Pogasz in a very popular radio program from 1982 to 1999. The programs were short stories about life in Poznan that Old Marych saw while going to work on his bicycle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a strong and visible police presence on the streets. We learned that drinking on the street is forbidden and not tolerated. As well, if you are drunk and disorderly, you are picked up and spend the night in jail - and you pay them for your night's stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAww, cat greetings! :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Monica from the tourist office. We went back to the tourist office quite a few times and each time Monica helped us. Thanks for all of your helpful information, Monica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Parish Church of St. Stanislaus the Bishop is an excellent example of Baroque architecture. It was erected as a Jesuit temple from the mid-17th century until 1701.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every day at noon there is a free organ concert. We went to a concert and enjoyed it very much.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We enjoyed watching the pigeons in the old town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the Royal Castle and a corner of the Old Market Square
Heart 0 Comment 0
The biggest attraction of the Old Market is the Town Hall.It is an excellent example of Renaissance architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Old Market Square is one of the best we have seen. The market was established in 1253. Each side is 141 metres long. From each corner there are 3 connecting streets radiating outwards.The surface area is very large. Only Krakow and Wrolclaw have larger market squares. At the end of World War 2, the market was 60% destroyed.In 1945, reconstruction of the market was begun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While we were in Poznan the weather was extremely hot. Children were swimming in the city fountains and fire hoses had been set out for people to cool down in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
People were heading for the many city parks to find some shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The spectacular Town Hall. During the Swedish invasion of Poland it was heavily damaged and then again during WW11.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Free organ concerts at the Parish Church
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice the church concert was free! I like going to churches to check them out, and they often have info about concerts there. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0