Sightseeing in Berlin- Day One - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2014

Sightseeing in Berlin- Day One

Breakfast with Karin. She is so good to us: amazing selection of cheese and meat, fresh buns from the bakery, homemade strawberry freezer jam, smoked salmon. Wow, how do we go back to mueseli/yogurt and camping?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take the train from Fitchenwalde (Beelitz Heilstaetten) to Berlin for a day of sightseeing. It is only a half hour train ride. Berlin Hauptbahnhof is the main train station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Berlin Hauptbahnhof is an architectural marvel for rail travel. Several floors of retail and platforms, with tracks on many levels criss-crossing in many directions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The impressive exterior of the Berlin Hauptbahnhof.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The building where Chancellor Angela Merkel has her office. Locals call this the "washing machine" - their observation on its design.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A memorial to the murderered members of the Reichstag (Government) who were killed by the National Socialist Party for their different views. Some died in concentration camps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Reichstag : Dem Deutschen Volke (loosely translated, "for the German people").
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rear of the Reichstag
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at a protest showing crosses of people killed during the Soviet years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the protest memorializing those who died trying to escape East Berlin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the Brandenburg Gate, the double row of cobbles on the road show where the Wall once stood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back from the east on Unten der Linden at what was West Berlin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of the many ways to tour Berlin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love the combination of old and new in these historic buildings. The glass dome has been added to the Reichstag and is worth a tour. However, it was closed for maintenance when we were there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Brandenburg Gate there is a room of silence where you can go to sit in quiet reflection of the tragic significance of the Wall on its residents. The wall ran directly on the east side of the gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The iconic Brandenburg Gate - the ultimate symbol of Berlin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are standing in Pariser Square on the east side of the gate. Much work has been done to rebuild and rejuvenate East Berlin since Unification. Berlin has done a great job of honouring and informing visitors of what happened here. We could feel the ghosts of the almost 40 years that Berliners were segregated from family, friends and their freedom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
To honour the importance of the area, all buildings on the east side of the Brandenburg Gate were restored and rebuilt after Unification with a plain exterior so that nothing would overshadow the Gate and its history. This incredible creation by Frank Geary is in the headquarters for a bank - he kept the exterior plain, and the interior was extraordinary. Geary felt that this represents his best work.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The opulent Hotel Adlon has also been restored to its former glory. This is the hotel where Michael Jackson made the news by dangling his young child over the balcony (2nd up over the sign). Throughout the day, as we walked here in former East Berin, we were very aware of how quickly things have changed here since the wall fell in 1989.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Monument to the murdered Jews of the Nazi regime. This strangely moving memorial covers a city block and features 2000 cement blocks of different sizes over rolling levels. Its design serves to create isolation, disorientation and reflection,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Jewish Monument - at times you cannot see anyone, and then you climb a rise on the cobbles and you can see others and the cement forms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Curry wurst and roast potatoes for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
When in Berlin...Berliner Kindl.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hitler's bunker covered this city block. It was destroyed by the Russians and now an apt. building and parking lot cover the site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The embassies of the four allies, USA, Russia, France and Britain were given space off Pariser Square on the east side of the Brandenburg Gate for their embassies. Britain honoured the requirement to present a simple facade. The purple colour represents the result of blending the red, white and blue of their flag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw this guy riding around Berlin throughout the day. A rare sight to see a recumbent trike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A photograph of the Berlin Wall in front of the Brandenberg Gate - over 100 km long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brandenburg Tor (Gate) subway station. This station was a "ghost station" during the Soviet era. Trains bound for W Berlin were not allowed to stop here and these ghost stations were abandoned and in disrepair. Now, this active subway station is like a museum with the walls covered in archival photographs and information.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brandenburg Tor station - this photo is of the historic visit John F Kennedy made to Berlin in the 60's. In his speech to the people of West Berlin, his oft quoted phrase "I am a Berliner" was made to show his solidarity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Russian Embassy
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Russian Embassy had a somewhat ornate exterior, unlike the other buildings and embassies in the area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is extensive construction and rebuilding ongoing in Berlin. We wondered what the overhead pipes were for...and we discovered that since Berlin is built on wet ground, the pipes are needed to remove moisture to make a stable foundation for the buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a bit difficult to get around at times as a new subway line is being built.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In East Berlin, the figure, the Ampelmann on crosswalk lights, was much loved. After Unification, the city was going to get rid of them and use the generic image. A huge outcry and petition saved these guys from extinction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another image of the much loved Ampelmann...saved to walk another day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much construction in eastern Berlin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An industry has sprung up around the Ampelmann. You can buy a huge variety of products with his image on them - bags, clothing, jewellry....
Heart 1 Comment 0
King Frederich
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Humboldt University has a Canadian cafe called "Tims". It's not a Tim Horton's (Canadian donut/coffee shop) but it's close. We ate there a few times and had great food, reasonably priced. The student population at this university is international and this cafe was started to feed homesick Canadians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stained glass window in the library of Humboldt University featuring Lenin and his achievements. The Russians didn't damage this building because of this window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close up image of Lenin in the stained glass panel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the State Opera, the window in the cobbles is at the spot of the infamous burning of the books by the Nazis. Unfortunately, the Opera was closed due to construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bronze sculpture commemorating a mother's grief in the loss of her son during wartime. She is holding her son.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A moving tribute - visitors were very quiet and thoughtful in this space.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Berlin Dom
Heart 1 Comment 0
Berlin Art Museum shares a square with the Dom and a well used park with a fountain. Berlin has many green spaces and expansive sidewalks and promenades for wandering. Despite the many people in these areas, we never felt crowded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen so many incredible fountains and statues in Berlin. Somehow, we are always captivated by the close up views of the statue and the personality of the birds who inhabit their space. Pigeons rule in Europe!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside the Dom, this King Frederich impersonator will pose for a fee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a hot day - how does the Grillrunner do it. He serves Bratwurst on a bun, freshly grilled. On his back is the propane that runs the grill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These statues were in a park honouring working people around the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Neptune Fountain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Berlin a city of contrasts - old and new with cranes amidst the beauty of the past.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alexanderplatz is a thriving and vibrant area. This artist was one of many creative people making a living here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Magicians working at Alexanderplatz....and yes, his hair is real.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crumbling Soviet era buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alexanderplatz train/tram station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We explored the huge Galeria department store and had this great view of Alexanderplatz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coffee and cake at Galeria Department store on the top floor with a view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry's cake with Johannisberg berries was really yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a long day of walking, we took the train back to Karin's. Like the dog, we were tired.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0