A long dusty canal path to Nurnberg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2014

A long dusty canal path to Nurnberg

We miscalculated our supply of food entering the w/e, and so, after packing up we headed over to the neighbouring Lidl (now open as it is Monday), purchased some supplies and enjoyed a picnic in the park by our campsite. We hadn't explored this area while staying here, and we are glad that we finally did. In 2013, the Bavarian garden show was held here and hosted over 1 million people. To prepare for the show, they had created this incredible park on the Insel which is surrounded by water and includes outstanding, imaginative children's play areas and big spaces to enjoy.
The route along the canal was easy to access as we were staying directly on the canal. We simply followed the canal out of Bamberg. Apart from the first 5 to 10 km, which were not too interesting as we were cycling alongside a dyke, we found the route to be quite pretty.
The only part of the route that was frustrating was at Bruck where the signage was most confusing and made no sense. We gave up trying to follow the map and trusted in the signs. This didn't jibe with the advice given to us by a couple we met who were coming from Nurnberg. Christian and Elizabeth, from near Bremen, who mentionned that this area was confusing, and we certainly agree.
Anyway, we continued along the canal instead of the more direct route (which we couldn't find), and thanks to the Garmin, we were eventually able to cut across country to catch the Regnitz Trail in to Nurnberg.
The distance from Bamberg to Nurnberg is about 10 km longer than was predicted on the map.
The major challenge of the day was getting up a "monster" hill to the Youth Hostel. The 18% grade was complicated by cobbles and construction. For the last part, Mary Ellen pushed the trailer and Barry pushed the bike. We finally arrived at this impressive and recently renovated castle which is home to the Youth Hostel.

When we arrived, the crowd of people in the lounge was amazing. A huge screen had been set up so that people could watch Germany play Portugal in the World Cup. Thankfully Germany won. Cheers were heard all over the city.
When we put our bike and trailer away in the storage shed, everything looked white - all of the bags, the trailer, the bike and us were completely covered in dust from the trail. We'll have to find time to do some work on our bike.
Nurnberg looks like a charming, historic city and we are excited to explore tomorrow.

Sylvia and Tony from Australia - also camping at the Canoe Club in Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The park near our campground - one of the incredible adventure play areas for children.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen watched the kids at the playground and then she joined in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Canoe Club in Bamberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cute dog was "born to ride"!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another beautiful historic bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's World Cup and this bread is football inspired.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tiny Bakery Konditorei in a village had the best strawberry dessert of the trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Main Donau Canal
Heart 1 Comment 0
When cyclists meet on a trail, it seems to be the natural thing to pore over maps and offer advice on the best way to go. Christian and Elizabeth were lovely to talk to.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christian and Elizabeth (spelling?) from Bremen were on a tour and had just ridden from Rothenburg on der Tauber yesterday. They gave us good advice on the route to Nuremburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this delightful woman on the trail. She had started to have mobility and balance issues - so, her solution was to buy a trike with a motor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were hopelessly lost on our way in to Nuremberg, and this young man went out of his way to ride with us and show us the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a first on this trip - Barry pushed the bike and I pushed the trailer up the 18%+ hill on cobbles to the Youth Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally made it up the super steep cobblestone hill to the youth hostel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Germany was playing their first game of the World Cup. Everyone was watching the game
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was exciting watching the World Cup at the youth hostel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 658 km (409 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0