A day in Nuremberg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2014

A day in Nuremberg

The Youth Hostel is full to the brim with school groups who are here for a few days to explore the history of Nuremberg. Dinner last night was very good - and like all meals here - a great value. For 6 euros we had unlimited beverages, salads, different kinds of pasta and 4 different sauces. This Hostel is well run and housed in a unique castle environment.
We ate breakfast with some of the teachers in charge of a group of students from Mainz. We enjoyed hearing about their experiences and we shared with them our positive impression of Mainz from camping/cycling there last year. Once again, breakfast was very good - and included with the room.
Next to the hostel is the impressive Kaiserburg Fortress. It has a commanding view of the city and is worth a visit. We walked the grounds of the Fortress once again marvelling at the accessibility of such amazing history.
First stop of the day was a walk to the train station. We are planning to go to Cheb, Czech Republic tomorrow on a regional train and we wanted to get tickets. But more importantly, we need to see the train to be sure that our bike will fit. First the good news: there is a special fare in effect and we paid half the usual cost. The not so good part is that these trains do not have double doors where you load the bike. Barry is convinced that we can do it, so we'll go early and be first on so that we have time to make it work.
Next, we went to a map store, Freytag & Berndt to look for maps of Czech Republic. It is a small shop but crammed with amazing resource materials. We were able to get Czech cycling maps, a regional map loaded with info and a Lonely Planet guide in English! We love these stores.
We wandered the scenic sreets of the Alstadt admiring some wonderful architecture, the Schoner Brunner Fountain, many churches and expansive pedestrian malls.
The only problem with this city is that there is too much to see in a short time. We are interested in the Albrecht Durer Museum, the DB (train) museum and many others.....but we have only time for one - so we opted to take the tram to the Documentation Center, Nazi Party Rally Grounds. We found it to be thoughtfully presented, informative and a sobering experience. The museum created a strong portrait of how Hitler rose to power and dominance from a German perspective. An admirable undertaking. It was good to see school groups visiting today.

A glimpse of the Kaiserburg Fortress from the Youth Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely architectural detail on a building in Nuremburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus in Nuremburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Schoner Brunner Fountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of a detail on the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another close up of the fountain,
Heart 0 Comment 0
A strawberry, yogurt torte.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This whimsical character caught my eye atop one of the buildings in downtown Nuremburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entrance to the Documentation Museum - a most effective blend of the old with new.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Nazi Rally grounds in Nuremburg - as it looks today.
We admire the unflinching and honest portrayal of Hitler and the context of Nuremburg's involvement provided by this museum.
It was interesting to feel and observe the reaction people had when entering this area. After having spent time learning about this spot, we suddenly emerged to the haunting reality of this spot. People were very quiet and thoughtful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This photograph shows the scope of the rally grounds and the buildings. The brown sections no longer exist. They have chosen not to restore damaged areas - but to allow it to decay over time. A most thought provoking and unflinching look at the history of this site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen having breakfast with Martine, a teacher with the school group from Mainz. It is so rewarding to meet strangers on the road with whom you feel such a kinship right away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tony making his way back to camp in the rain. We met Tony and Sylvia, Aussies when we were camping in Bamberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0