Day 86 Williamsburg VA to Suffolk VA - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2023

Day 86 Williamsburg VA to Suffolk VA

It was 71° when we got up this morning. It is the first morning we didn’t need any kind of jacket. We rode almost 8 miles to Jamestown to catch the ferry to Scotland. The seagulls were fun to watch as they flew all around the ferry. I guess they think they are going to get fed but they were wrong. Some of them even hitched a ride at the back of the ferry. When we got off in Scotland we tried to find Beth and Scott but they must have already been on the golf course. 😂😂😂. It was very muggy and humid and at one point I needed to change my shirt. I did it right in the middle of the road. Luckily no one drove by. Right after we got back on the bikes a car went by. Phew, perfect timing. What was nice is we were on roads that not many cars were on, but then again there wasn’t much to see either. I thought this fence we went by looked like it would make a nice picture. We rode by a lot of cornfields that looked like it might be cow corn but I did spot a cob that had opened and it was all red. We used to call the colored corn, Indian corn. Don’t know if that is still politically correct or not. I also kept seeing different flowers growing up on the corn stalks so had to stop and a few pictures of those. We came upon and abandoned house and I love taking pictures of them. If only those walls could talk. I would definitely sit down and listen. We also came upon this small cemetery and had to investigate. These are the little things you don’t notice when driving by in a car. As we went along I noticed a sign at the end of a driveway that read “Chen Emu Farm”. Yup, emus just wandering around. How neat it was to see and talk to them. We also kept seeing these people at just about every intersection we came to. Hubs finally stopped and asked these two guys. Turns out they are putting in acres & acres & acres of solar panels and all the people at the intersections need to direct the trucks where to go. The two guys were amazed when we told them we biked from Seattle and were heading to South Carolina. Reggie especially was flabbergasted. A car came along with other workers and Reggie had to run over to tell them about our adventure. It’s so funny when people react like him. Anthony the other guy actually lived in Charleston where he worked at the ship yard for 15years. We never got to find out what brought him to VA. We had to ride 30 miles before we came into a town to find lunch. It was the town of Smithfield and looked like a really neat little town.I tried to get a good picture of the water tower as it reminded me of the tin man in the Wizard of Oz.  We had delicious sandwiches on home made bread and got there just in time as the whole place filled up after we were seated. When we came out, 2 ladies were sitting at an outside table and asked about our bikes. We explained and again she was surprised at how far we have ridden. When we told her we were going home to South Carolina-she asked where we lived. We said Bluffton and she said she had a sister in Sun City. We told her we lived in Sun City also. So now I will have to try and find her sister. It’s a small world. I feel bad as I can’t quite remember her name. I think it is Florence and her friends name is Nancy. As we continued on we kept hearing this noise and it turned out to be some kind of machinery that mows down the corn stalks. We finally made it to Suffolk and found our motel. Right now Hubs is trying to figure our route to Edenton NC. So state number 12 will be gone and state number 13 here we come. 

Waiting in line to get on the ferry to Scotland
Heart 0 Comment 0
The seagulls just chilling out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our ferry selfie
Heart 1 Comment 0
More seagulls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs giving a wave
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our gps following the ferry route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caught this guy in the air
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were tons of gulls flying with the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
More in flight
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some decided to hitch a ride and save there wings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving in Scotland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved the fence
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saw all different flowers weaved in amongst the corn stalks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty color
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMorning glory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipomoea
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A little bit of red ones
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltRed morning glory

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/120518-Ipomoea-coccinea
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
A lot of them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really love the color of these
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCommon morning glory again plus the little dayflower.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/52344/browse_photos

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/52927/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
An abandoned house. If the walls could talk I would gladly listen. Oh the stories they must have.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this small cemetery and had to check it out
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only a few graves in it
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one was only an infant
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old one
Heart 0 Comment 0
Came upon this opened stalk and saw the corn was red
Heart 0 Comment 0
We happened to ride by this emu farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They had to come see us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inquisitive little buggers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs asking these two why there are people at the intersections. This is Anthony and Reggie. They told us about how they have to make sure the solar trucks go the right way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Acres and acres and acres of the bases for the solar panels to be installed after
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did see signs for phase four also. I wonder how many homes and businesses these will power when they are all installed
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water tower that reminded me of the tin man
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nancy is on the left and I think her name is Florence on the right. Her sister Betty Porter lives in Sun City
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 283 miles (455 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Phil/Ann DettwilerUsed to know a really (REALLY) old song that we crooned each morning at the local pool before we began teaching swim lessons: “Beautiful morning glory, Kissed and caressed by the dew. Beautiful morning glory, good morning glory to you.” Phil thinks the flowers growing amongst the corn are morning glories. Now there’s a nugget of music trivia for you!
And….was Hubs ‘really’ waving on the pic???!? Thought it wreaked like an Eagle….but maybe he was just being nice.. ?

Another state!!! Woohoo!
A&P
Reply to this comment
7 months ago