Day 87 Suffolk VA to Edenton NC - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2023

Day 87 Suffolk VA to Edenton NC

It was 67° when we left this morning. Funny how it was 4° cooler than yesterday morning but was supposed to get hotter today. Hubs did not sleep last night worrying about getting rooms and finding routes, so his morning didn’t start out well. We went into town for breakfast and what a mish mash that was. The waitress said it was her first day back in 3 weeks and she wasn’t having a good morning either. We asked if we could order sandwiches to go and she said yes, so we o ordered our breakfast and the sandwiches at the same time. We only wanted over easy eggs but I think they had to chase the chickens in the backyard to get the eggs. It took forever. Then we had to wait for the sandwiches. Only wanted salami and cheese on bread. Nothing else. Then they came in the big styrofoam boxes so she also brought the sandwich size but the sandwiches were too big for the small ones. I did find us 2 baggies to put them in. This wasted over an hour. We finally get on our way. We were riding down this road when I saw the sign for Birdsong Peanuts. Behind it were silos and I wondered if they were full of peanuts. Hubs saw a man driving a forklift and went over to ask him. His name is Clarence. Yes, he said they were full of peanuts. As you can see the bag on his forklift was one of many of those bags. Peanuts, peanuts and more peanuts got me to thinking. Where will all these peanuts go. Will they go to Planters, Reese’s, M&M’s, Skippy etc. Hmmmm, I guess I will never know. As we rode on we came to this church with all these statues around the perimeter of the yard. Hubs thought they were the stations of the cross but it turns out they were all angels. It didn’t seem long before we entered our 13th state. The state of North Carolina. As usual we took our pictures and then noticed right at the state line the difference in the road. North Carolina’s sucked. That’s when Hubs mentioned that both North and South Carolina had awful roads. It sure slows you down when biking.  Not that we go fast with all our gear anyway but we don’t need extra things to slow us down. We were lucky to be on all back roads for most of the day. We did run into these two guys who asked us where we were going. We told them and Bobby was amazed. Paul was in the truck and he couldn’t believe it either. Bobby also told us when we get to Myrtle Beach we needed to check out this certain restaurant. I can’t remember the name of it but I am sure if I see it I will remember. We were riding by some cotton plants and I had to take pictures of the cotton bulbs and then the cotton itself. The day was getting hotter and we were starting to get low on water so when this truck was coming towards us, I stopped him to ask if there were any convenience stores near by. He said one way we would have to ride 3 miles and the other way 5 miles. We told him we would just continue on. Then we noticed he pulled into his yard. We went over to ask if he had any ice and he said he usually does but his water main broke and he just got the part at the hardware store. He told us we could wait in his yard but we told him we would probably find something on the way. He then asked if he could say a pray so we would have a safe trip home. The 3 of us then held hands and he said a beautiful prayer. It warmed our hearts and made the hair stand up on Hub’s arm. Dashon said it wasn’t him but the holy spirit. I hope he lives a very happy, healthy life. He surely will be going to heaven. As we rode on, Hubs saw a man out in his yard and asked him if he had any ice. His name is James and his wife is Betty. Not only did they give us ice, James came out with a big jug of spring water and told us we could take it after they filled our water bottles. We told him it was too much weight. We thanked them so much for their generosity and we went back to the end of the driveway to get our bikes. James came up to us again and asked us if we needed money. He said he didn’t have much but he could spare some. We told him we didn’t need any and thanked him again. Why is it the people with less are always willing to give. James and Betty will be in going to heaven also. As we rode on, Hubs thought he would take me to an outdoor cafe for lunch. Nothing but the best for his wife. We got the best seats outside. The food wasn’t so great but it was nice to sit on something other than the bike seats. After lunch we rode by this building that looked to be an old post office. We went by this funny looking corn but don’t really know what it is. As the day got hotter we needed a break. We stopped at this abandoned house that is just so cute. It looks like something that would be on our town with Ben and Erin to fix up. Off again and again our water was getting hot. I saw a woman outside her house and she waved so I asked her if she had cold water and she said yes. She came out with 2 bottles of cold water for us. We chatted a bit. Her name is Theresa. This country has so many wonderful people and it is great we are getting to meet them. When we came by these silos, they looked like it was a silo family portrait so I needed a picture for myself. I could also picture them painted as pumpkins and would look awesome. We finally made it to our motel later than we wanted. We decided to go drop off our bags and ride into town for dinner. We asked a lady in town where we could get a good meal. She said Waterman's has prime rib. Yum.(it actually wasn’t that great)

A old fashioned cigarette machine in the breakfast place we stopped at. $5.00 a pack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peanuts!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The silos filled with peanuts
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is Clarence talking to Hubs about the peanuts
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
The angels guarding the church grounds
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our 13th state selfie. Hello. North Carolina
Heart 2 Comment 0
Actually we’re greeted by 2 N Carolina signs
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Bobby and Paul is in the truck. Real friendly guys. Enjoyed meeting and talking to them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cotton bulbs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cotton bulbs that bloomed
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is Dashon. Awesome guy. He suggested we wait in his yard till he fixed his water main break. We decided to go on and he asked if he could say a prayer for us so we all held hands while he said safe and comforting words for us
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is Betty and James. They gave us ice and water
Heart 1 Comment 0
Better picture of James and Betty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outdoor cafe Hubs took me to lunch. We had great outdoor seating.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This looked like an old post office
Heart 0 Comment 0
Funny looking corn plants
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSorghum

https://blogs.ext.vt.edu/central-virginia-ag-spotlight/2013/10/24/meet-david-smith/
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Loved this abandoned house. So cute
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Theresa. She also gave us some cold water. Kindness is everything
Heart 2 Comment 0
The silo family.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Deane and Bailey we met at dinner. They invited us to stay with them at their house tomorrow night. A very nice thing to do but we will not be able to. Thank you again so much for the invitation. We so appreciate it. 🥰
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Margaret and Scott. They were at the other table in our 3 table nook.They live in Richmond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode 56 miles today which gave us this new milestone.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We went there. We sat at a table that had 2 other tables in small area. We started talking to the couple next to us. They were out on a journey to find a sink for her potting shed. They are Deanne and Bailey. They figured they would make a day of it and then have dinner out. As we talked about our trip, Deanne invited us to their house for tomorrow night. She actually told us we could stay for a few days if we wanted and bike around during the day. Again,Strangers becoming friends. Another couple came and sat at the 3rd table in our little nook and we all started talking to each other. It was really nice.Turns out Hubs had booked rooms for us and he texted to thank them and let them know we really appreciated it. Tomorrow we head to Williamston NC.

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 226 miles (364 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Phil/Ann DettwilerAnother exhausting day for you — but full of connections again with genuine people. This is the Gift of this adventure: friendship with people you don’t know yet will go the extra mile for you. You’ve commented frequently about all those you’ve met, how genuine and friendly and caring they are. Has it occurred to you that perhaps YOU two are the magnet?

Perhaps you are the gift…..to others.❤️
A&P
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Debbie ColeYou are getting so close to home. you’ll be there before you know it.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago