Day 84 - July 26 - Fort Stevens State Park, OR to Seaside, OR and Back - Two Old Guys Take On A Continent - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2023

Day 84 - July 26 - Fort Stevens State Park, OR to Seaside, OR and Back

The Big Dip!!

John’s Story

This entry will be added to tomorrow. We just wanted to get something published on the day we reached the far end of our tour. (now we just have to get back to Portland!)

His wife got too much sun!
Heart 3 Comment 0
End of our westward tour. The Lewis and Clark Salt Cairn Monument. More about that later.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Salt Cairn Monument
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salt-making apparatus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victory! The Pacific Ocean!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Shelby is today’s Road Angel. She took our pictures on the beach.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Starting back to Portland.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The one cloud in the sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was assaulted by a high-altitude seagull. Fortunately my beer did not receive any droppings.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride to Seaside on US 101 was hastened by a bit of a tailwind, but the elation was tempered by the heaviest traffic we’ve seen on any day of our trip. Luckily there was some kind of shoulder the entire way. On the way back we were faced with a freshening headwind that will do us good tomorrow as we head east and south toward Portland. We tried to stay off 101 by taking residential roads parallel to it, but we were turned back multiple times by the entrances to gated communities. We gave up after a couple miles of backtracking and went back to 101, where the headwind made the traffic more fun. 

 After showers and naps when we returned we did a little sightseeing around Fort Stevens. 

The wreck of the Peter Airedale, a British ship that ran aground in 1896 with no loss of life.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Dorothy Shinstock1906 ... not 1996
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Dorothy ShinstockPlease send me a copy ofthis picture
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Looking south toward Seaside. That cloud is still hanging on the headland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The remains of a gun emplacement at Battery Russell. That had to be one big gun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Foxglove, Bill?
Heart 1 Comment 1

We came across some wildlife on our excursion. We didn’t catch a picture of the field mouse that ran across the path in front of us and was given chase by Ruger.

Guardians of the boat ramp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chief guard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All through Fort Stevens and along 101 to Seaside were signs warning us of the elk, but with no sign of the elk until this evening.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Dorothy ShinstockPleasesend me your deer/elk
pictures.
Thx
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
There were more elk in the trees but difficult to see.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We came across Bambi, Bambi’s unsung sibling and Mom.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will have a tailwind. The 55 or so miles back to Hudson-Parcher County Park should be helped along. 

Ed’s Story

We made it. Dipped wheel and held bike in ocean. Journey completed.

The dip.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The carry.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jane ChimahuskyYour bikes have earned a well deserved dip after carrying you guys so many miles!! Congrats!!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 148 miles (238 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Kelly IniguezCongratulations! What a momentous occasion. I'm going to miss reading your update each day.

Savor the moment!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Lyle McLeodCongratulations! Looks like you had a perfect day to finish.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rebecca ChimahuskyToo bad I didn’t go touch the ocean today—we could have been on the Pacific at the same time!

Congratulations!!!🎉🎈
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rich FrasierCongratulations to you both, and thanks for an entertaining and educational journal. I hope you have a great sense of accomplishment - I'm in awe of what you've done!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyThanks, Rich! Two more days back to Portland.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo Rebecca ChimahuskyThanks, Becky Lou!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo Lyle McLeodThanks, Lyle!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyTo Kelly IniguezThanks, Kelly! Savoring, but two more days back to Portland!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltNice finish!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago