Day 85 - July 27 - Fort Stevens State Park, OR to Hudson-Parcher County Park, OR - Two Old Guys Take On A Continent - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2023

Day 85 - July 27 - Fort Stevens State Park, OR to Hudson-Parcher County Park, OR

Done But Not Finished

Ed’s Story

The closer we get to the end the less it seems I have to write. Had microwave oatmeal this morning vice thermos oatmeal. This allows me to store the thermos.

John talked about the wind..at times it felt like a headwind. Looking at the weather for tomorrow we’re going to have a real light tailwind (4-5 mph) so not much help.

We had over 2700 ft of climbing today….2 big hills contributed. The first, a 560 ft hill, came relatively early. The second, a 740 ft hill, came right after Clatskanie. 

The second hill sort of took me by surprise. I was expecting it later but realized I was looking at the climbs on the route, but we were not on the route. We stayed on US 30 East to Hudson-Parcher Park. We changed our plans after the route was developed so didn’t follow it.

I’ve been through my panniers looking at what I have and either kept it, threw it away, or gave to my BIL John. Trying to lighten my load before packing a duffel tomorrow.

Tomorrow is our last ride heading into Portland to Rose City Recumbents as they will ship our bikes home. Anticipate another 55 mile ride. We hope to continue riding unloaded until about 10 miles before the shop. Just have to confirm a pannier exchange location on the west side of Portland.

So until tomorrow happy biking!

John's Story

We left at 7:00 AM under low clouds with no wind. The forecast tailwind never really materialized, but at least it wasn’t in our face. The clouds burned off about 10 AM.  We had hoped the traffic on the bridge to Astoria would be light early in the morning, but it wasn’t. 

I’m pretty sure a tsunami perched this pilot craft here last night.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Aiden, I found a couple critters for you when we stopped for a break at a convenience store.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltEuropean honey bee

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/biosecurity/plant/bees-and-wasps/european-honeybee
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSome species of giant mayfly

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/51112-Hexagenia
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYou should see when there is a mass hatch (every year) like we had along the Mississippi in northern IL when I lived there. They would be drawn to lights at the end of the Savanna-Sabula bridge in such numbers, they would pile up a couple feet deep under the lights, and stink like dead fish for weeks!

The Savanna Jaycees initiated a festival back in the early 80s to shame the city leaders into starting some kind of annual festival... It survives to this day!

https://www.facebook.com/ShadflyFest/
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyEd worked at a nuclear power plant near Lake Erie and I remember the mayflies drifted deep there too.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Having made it to the Pacific from DC, our fame is spreading far and wide. They’re starting to name businesses after us.

That’s supposed to be Two Old GUYS, people!
Heart 2 Comment 3
Arthur BrownThings you might have in common with goats…both have white facial hair. Climbing of mountains. Using “goat mode” to make it through some of those passes, hills, mountains…Ed’s diet…etc.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

We stopped at Safeway in Clatskanie to find some lunch. We also bought a 6-pack of beer to take to camp. Safeway has no plastic bags, which we ofttimes tie to our bikes to carry our purchases. Riding unloaded we had no place to put the beer. In front of the store was a bin where customers can recycle plastic film. Ed rummaged through it to find the plastic bags we needed to carry the beer. 

Riding bikes across the country turns one into a good scavenger.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodWhere there’s a will there’s a way!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

For the first time in days we met other bicycle tourists. They started in Vancouver, Washington and are headed down the Oregon coast on US 101 once they get to Astoria.

Mike and his unnamed wife were happy to hear about the upcoming 700’ descent into Clatskanie.
Heart 5 Comment 0

While we were across the road talking to Mike and his wife the wash from a passing truck knocked Ed’s bike over. It landed on the shoulder. Otherwise Ed would still be there collecting the debris that used to be his bike.

We pulled into Hudson-Parcher County Park at about 1:00 PM. One more night in the camper, and one more day of riding to Portland!

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 112 miles (180 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Arthur BrownNice job guys. Congratulations! What an adventure…spot on.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyThanks, Arthur!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago