Day 2: To Weert (NL) - To Belgium with Kevin - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2022

Day 2: To Weert (NL)

It was a bit of a better night with Kevin, which is amazing really because it was really quite cold. Luckily he has all the right gear thanks to a new warm sleeping sack given to him by his grandparents in England and a cool hat to go with it that makes him look like a knight. He was cosy enough.

Heart 6 Comment 0

The cold morning definitely had us relieved that we are almost home though, and thankful for the good weather as the sun eventually climbed high enough to start warming us up.

Kevin passed the time by making friends with this cat.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We returned to the canal and continued east. Kevin didn’t sleep for long but we managed 15 kilometres before stopping for a break next to the canal.

Leaving Lommel, grateful for the sun.
Heart 6 Comment 0

There was high drama when Dea took Kevin up to discover a large amount of poop had escaped once again out of his nappy and all over his clothes. Lucky we were next to water!

Heart 4 Comment 0

We were lucky we could wash the clothes in the canal and then leave them to dry in the sun which was getting quite warm by now. Again, we were grateful for the good weather that made cycling with a baby in October possible.

We were sitting next to a bridge and there was some graffiti / a mural under it that I really liked. If you can imagine a giant David Hasselhoff with aliens and cats and crazy characters and an aardvark emerging from other dimensions all around him. If you can’t imagine that, don’t worry, I took lots of photos; so I hope you enjoy it too.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
There was also one on the other side of the canal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

We didn’t have a long day today so there was just one more cycling session, one that brought us across the border and back into the Netherlands. It wasn’t that different though, we were mostly still following a canal until we veered of it close to the town of Weert to find our hosts. They are a couple who have a farmhouse in the country and they have made such a wonderful place out of it for cyclists and other guests to stay. They seemed like such nice people too, but we didn’t talk much as they have Covid, so they stood back and pointed us the way from a safe distance! 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We have a big field with a lovely sitting area and swing chair, and also a caravan we can use. The caravan isn’t so big though, so we have decided that Dea will sleep in there with Kevin and I have the tent to myself at the other end of the field. I’m a very lucky boy! Before turning in for the night we sat and ate dinner together and watched a beautiful sunset across the fields. This really is one of the best places we have stayed, so relaxing and peaceful, and I feel lucky in so many ways tonight!

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 1,194 km (741 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0