Yeoju to Guamni: A hot day - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2017

Yeoju to Guamni: A hot day

After picking up some food at the CU down the road we starte off at about seven o'clock. The weather forecast suggested that it would be hot today but the route was flat and easy and there was a gentle tailwind so we made good time. After about twenty three kilometers we spotted Mark and Julie emerging from the rest area next to a sports complex where they had spent the night. Of course, we had another long chat during which a young shirtless Australian called Andrew arrived from the direction of Seoul. This was the second day of his first cycle tour and he was clearly enjoying himself.

The party broke up and we stayed behind to eat second breakfast. The flat route suddenly changed to a short but sharp hill, a twelve percent gradient if the signboard was to be believed. After that it was back to a gentle ride, a lot of which was in the shade of some trees planted along the side of the trail. Very comfortable and quite attractive cycling.

After about thirty five kilometers the route changed onto re-claimed railway lines and passed through the the old railway tunnels.

At this stage there were a lot more local cyclists on the trail and was clear we were getting closer to Seoul.

Leigh approaches one of the old railway tunnels
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crazy lights in the tunnels
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the confluence of the Sukhan and Namhan rivers we turned north-west, away from the trail leading to Seoul and onto a small side route of the Four Rivers Route. We stopped for a bulgogi burger from a 7-11 and found a shelter to sit out the heat of the day. Eventually I decided we needed somewhere to swim, be it a hotel, the river or any swimming pool we could find. We carried on cycling, passing two swimming pools, neither of which we could use, and no safe way of getting into the river. Camping spots had also dried up. Eventually we simply booked into a hotel so we could cool down.

Leigh is back at work, so it's not the worst way to end the day.

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,142 km (1,330 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0