Padang Besar to Hat Yai: A rainy day with a couple of flat tyres - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2017

Padang Besar to Hat Yai: A rainy day with a couple of flat tyres

Sleep was rather intermittent last night. We couldn't set the air-conditioner and it was too hot without it on. Also, we seemed to be in a Karaoke zone, so we had last of loud music blaring through the night. Welcome to Thailand. One thing Thailand has that is an improvement n Malaysia are the roads being a lot wider (and generally in better condition) and far less traffic (at least on the minor roads). This makes cycling a lot less stressful.

We set off at about six thirty this morning. Thailand is a hour behind Malaysia so it was light already. The weather forecast on Wunderground suggested a dry but cloudy morning and that is how it started out.

After about thirteen kilometers we stopped in a little village for breakfast - pork buns for me and dim sums for Leigh. After another thirteen kilometers we stopped to buy a cold drink. As we were about to start riding again, a gentle rain started falling. We waited it out for a bit and then decided to carry on in the rain. Every now and then it got a bit heavier and we took shelter, once at a roadside shop where a couple of middle aged guys were drinking whiskey at nine o'clock in the morning.

Sheltering from the rain in one of the little shelters that as regularly found along Thailand's roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leigh picked up a puncture today, or so we thought. I swapped the tube and we carried on.

We've checked into the Smile Home Hotel in Hat Yai for two days - we feel the need to take a break and have a few things to sort out.

After checking in we went off had had lunch at a restaurant about a kilometer away. Sticky rice and grilled pork - breakfast food from a Thai point of view. Leigh's bike's rear tyre was flat again so we had to push back to the hotel. It turned out the neither of today's flats were punctures. Both tubes had been previously patched and the tubes had actually split - the one split about 5mm long and the other more than 10mm - where the original punctures had been. We went off to find replacement tubes but only managed to find a single one with a presta valve so we'll have to try another bicycle shop tomorrow.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 3,832 km (2,380 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0