Hat Yai: A mostly lazy day - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2017

Hat Yai: A mostly lazy day

Our hotel rate included breakfast so we wandered down and enjoyed that at about seven thirty. Both of us are feeling pretty tired. We contemplated spending a third night in Hat Yai but decided that the next two days are going to be quite short so we might as well "recover" on the bikes.

Then after a bit of work, we cycled off to the Hat Yai Municipal Park on a hill a few kilometers to the east. On the way we stopped off at a bicycle shop to try and buy another spare tube - no luck because the presta valve 26" tubes were too narrow and the wider tubes all had schrader valves. We did manage to a get a nice rear light for Leigh's bike. Her previous one disappeared somewhere in southern peninsular Malaysia. She also lost her mirror and sleeping mat which disappeared one night while we were in Kuala Lumpur - hopefully the thief was a street person in need and not a fellow cyclist or backpacker.

Once we got to the park we set off to find the cable car that takes you to the top of the hill. It turns out that it is near the top of the hill. We had decided not to over exert ourselves today so we weren't going to cycle up to the cable car station. We did walk as high as the Chinese Buddhist Temples half way up the hill but that was as strenuous as it got.

Hat Yai, Thailand's fourth biggest city, seems to be making an attempt to promote cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Chinese Buddha that ate all the dim sums.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over Hat Yai.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a lunch of noodle soup at a street side eatery we headed back to the hotel.

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 3,845 km (2,388 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0