Hin Ta Hin Yai to Bo Phut: From where did all this traffic come ? - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2017

Hin Ta Hin Yai to Bo Phut: From where did all this traffic come ?

Neither of us slept particularly well last night. It's a lot busier on Samui than to what we are accustomed and there was quite a lot of noise late at night. We slept with the sliding door to our room open and that let a lot of noise in.

We wanted to have a look at the Grandfather and Grandmother rocks, lingi and yoni shaped rocks in the sea close to our resort. The Thai names are Hin Ta and Hin Yai. Grandfather was easy to identify - simple phallus. Grandmother might have been one of a number. Was she the labia shaped rocks over there or the round one over there ?

Hin Ta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hin Yai
Heart 0 Comment 0

With no chance of finding any worthwhile local food near our accomodation we settled for half a loaf of bread and a jar of strawberry jam from the Family Mart nearby. This is the first time we have seen Family Marts since Japan.

Then we packed up and made our way over the small stiff climbs and through the horrendously busy traffic towards Bo Phut where we had a booking at the Mermaid Resort. This was probably the worst traffic through we have cycled in Thailand. Just before turning off to Bo Phut we smelt some real food and pulled into a local plastic chair for a bowl of green curry chicken.

We have taken a simple fan room at the Mermaid Resort which is back in our normal price range. It's a simpler resort in a quieter area than the Samui Beach Resort at Hin Ta Hin Yai, even though it is in the flight path of the Samui Airport.

Later this afternoon we had a short storm which dropped a helluva lot of rain accompanied by a strong wind. The sea was whipped up to the extent that we canned the idea of an afternoon swim. For supper we decided to spoil ourselves and had a decent bowl of pasta and a glass of Wine each
at an Italian run restaurant close to the resort.

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 4,316 km (2,680 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0