Cha Am to Chao Samran: Things look familiar around here - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2017

Cha Am to Chao Samran: Things look familiar around here

We really enjyed our short stay at the Fancy Carp. We did very little while we were there and it was most relaxing. We didn't even go out for supper - the proprietor organized a great Kra Phao Moo for us at only forty baht a plate which we enjoyed whle watching the fish swim around at our feet.

We were on the road at the normal time of around a quarter past six and had lovely quiet roads the whole way. The quiet roads meant we could stop and enjoy the birds along the way.

Chestnut Munia
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somewhere along the stretch of road outside Cha Am we passed five thousand kilometers on this trip. We're covering very similar distances to what we did last year.

We cut through Cha Am town proper after about seventeen kilometers and our route took us through the main market. This was a great place to pick up some pork satays and sticky rice for first breakfast. On the northern side of the town we queued for some pa tong go, the little fried dough balls that remind me of vetkoek back in South Africa.

Pa Tong Go for second breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

About halfway between Cha Am and Chao Samran, we came upon a ghost town of holiday resorts near Hat Puek Tian. It was quite erie cycling through the shutdown resorts. There were two that were still operational and there seemed to have some attempts to restore others but it was mostly a record of a tourist boom gone wrong.

Our plan for today was to spend the night in Petchaburi and spend tomorrow birding the paddyfields north of the town. However today has been the first hot and mostly cloudless day we have had in a while so we thought we might take this last opportunity we will have for a while to spend a night at the coast. So here we are at Chao Samran where we had our first swim on Thai coast almost a year and a half ago.

Leigh poses with the marine mammals at Chao Samran Beach ... again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 5,064 km (3,145 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0