Bagan Lalang to Klang: More bad navigation leads to quiet roads - The third step ... The rising sun upon our backs - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2017

Bagan Lalang to Klang: More bad navigation leads to quiet roads

We had a good night's sleep and woke up feeling far fresher than the day before. So it was a bit of a surprise when I realised, after about ten kilometers, that the lady in the mobile phone had decided to route us through some swampland on our way to Klang. Eventually we found ourselves a stone's throw away from the runway at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. The presence of a lot of other cyclists (all on fancy bikes and dressed up in lycra) gave us hope that we would find a decent route to Klang. The swamp also delivered some good birding so we didn't complain too much. The cyclists were also very friendly and we had a long chat with one group who warned us about Malaysian drivers (whom I have found to be very considerate towards cyclists). It seems that all countries' cyclists think that their own drivers are bad.

Apart from the chaos around the airport's access roads and the run into Klang, we kept quite back roads for most of the time. We had quite a lot of dirt and mud but very little traffic compared to what we have become accustomed to in Malaysia. What traffic we did encounter was mostly motor cyclists with bemused looks upon their faces.

Some quiet but muddy roads
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first hotel we saw as we crossed the river at Klang was the rather spiffy looking Aliya. I knew there was an Oyo Roms, which is in our price range just around the corner but decided to see if the Aliya could give us a good deal. RM170 is almost twice what we like to pay but the staff seemed so nice and everything looked so organised and clean, and a swim after a long and dusty ride seemed so enticing that we just had to say yes.

Supper was pork and rice at a Chinese restaurant close to the hotel - I didn't think we would eat as much pork as we have in Malaysia with it being a predominantly Muslim country.

Pork and rice with Chinese tea
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 2,994 km (1,859 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0