Khura Buri - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

February 19, 2019

Khura Buri

We planned a short day today and that's what we had.

We left the very nice I-In at about seven, first heading back north for a kilometer or so to the 7-Eleven to buy some plasters and some dreadful tuna sandwiches for breakfast.  Then we turned around and headed southwards down highway 4.

Just out of town we heard the unmistakable sounds of a gibbon calling.  Within a few minutes Leigh picked up what I assume to be  female Lar Gibbon at the top of the highest tree across a small valley.  It mostly sat very still (I took a very long and boring video of it doing nothing) but did give a few swings through the branches at one point.  The way gibbons move through the tree canopy must be one of the most beautiful things to see.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After that it was a gentle ride in nice shady conditions to Khura Buri.  As we entered the town we saw a sign to Vannamei Resort.  We went to have a look and it was really very good and well worth the 800 baht asking price.  However, our budget doesn't stretch that far every day - if we had spent the previous few nights in rougher accommodation we might have taken it but after two nights of comfort at the I-In we couldn't justify it.  So we rode on into town, first checking out the Tarrarin and Khuraburi Resorts (300 and 600 baht respectively) but neither were worth the price being quite run down and dirty.

So we carried a few hundred meters further to the Bun Phiya Resort which Travelfish had recommended.   They tried us at 650 baht but we knocked them down to 550 which was fair value from our point of view.  After a shower we wandered across the road to the market where we picked up some pork satays, sticky rice and pineapple for second breakfast.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 352 km (219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0