Corner Brook to Barachois Pond Provincial Park - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2012

Corner Brook to Barachois Pond Provincial Park

Whilst packing away this morning, something which I am sure I can now do in my sleep, there was a massive downpour. Fortunately I had left the tent up till last to dry out the dew, so we dived in there and had breakfast while it passed. It was then a short ride into Corner Brook to visit the bike shop - again, get some wifi, and buy some groceries. Fortunately we found a store other than Foodland, and were able to stock up on some tasty, wholesome and fresh food (this was the first decent food store I had been into since being in Sept Iles about 3 weeks ago). We will not see another store now until Sunday afternoon, so the panniers are filled to bursting point, and it took every trick in the book to get everything in. I had also called in to the shoe repair shop to thank Peg and Terry for arranging somebody to repair my tent, and spent a while in there chatting to them - a lovely couple.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite the early start it was nearly midday by the time we finally got onto the Trans Canada Highway, heading west, and into the wind. Despite the earlier horror stories, this section of the highway was very quiet, and it was just the weather which tried to spoil things. Lunch was eaten in the shelter of some roadside construction materials - anything to escape from the wind and rain!

A lunch spot with a difference.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed at the Barachois Pond Provincial Campsite, which is one of the best Provincial Parks I have stayed in so far, and at $15 a real bargain. After drying out the wet clothing we lit a fire, then I finally went to bed listening to the sound of the owls, much nicer than the noise of the highway which has been the noise so much recently.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 7,096 miles (11,420 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0