Carnarvon to Wilberforce - Tea for Tim - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2012

Carnarvon to Wilberforce

The day didn't start well today. I was woken by Kate who had discovered raccoons trying to get into the panniers for a midnight feast. After squirting water at them, then throwing whatever came to hand at them, all to no effect, we strung them up in the trees (the panniers, not the raccoons).

When we reached Carnarvon, and I had eaten the second half of my breakfast (having run out of oats), we had a quick pow wow about the route we should take. The 3km shorter, but inevitably hillier route was chosen, and we must have been enjoying the scenery and the short but very steep hills so much that we missed a turning and our 3km shortcut became a dream. We arrived in Haliburton more than ready for a stop, and after stocking up on groceries (curry tonight), ate lunch by a lake at the park. After visiting a bike shop to borrow a tool to tighten the headset on Kate's bike, then posting some things home from the Post Office, we were back on the road again.

Things didn't go well this afternoon. Tiredness caused by a continuing lack of enough sleep, and the continual effect of the recent heat wave reduced energy levels to a minimum, and after a roadside swim to cool down, we decided to find a good camping spot and take as long as is needed to recharge our bodies batteries.

Wilberforce, a great town, well worth a visit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After scaling the dizzy heights of Vinegar Hill, then racing down the other side, almost out of control whilst taking the tight turns without using the brakes, and hitting 47mph in the process, we arrived in Wilberforce. What a town! It has everything for the discerning (non-geocaching) cyclist, an LCBO (the provincial run tightly controlled liquor sales office where you have to go to buy a beer for off sales consumption), a grocery store which sells ice cream, a library with unlocked wifi available 24 hours a day, and a super friendly basic campsite, Riverbank Camping, which at $20 is a real bargain by Ontarian standards. Time to rest!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 5,261 miles (8,467 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0