A classic days riding - Three old blokes tackle the Tasmania Trail - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2022

A classic days riding

Launceston to Kimberley

You couldn’t dial in a better day for the start of our Tasmanian ride. Sunny skies, little wind and mid twenties temperature made for a great day in the saddle. We left our air bnb without having had our bikes stolen which was a positive.  The airport shuttle bus driver had predicted they would be as we were staying in the dodgy part of town.

We mucked around in downtown Launceston for a couple of hours buying some essential and non essential items, had my bike tweaked to fix the gears, devoured a full country breakfast and eventually climbed our way out of Lonny.

Izzy in the background is pumping up Steves tyres (and I’m speaking literally not figuratively). She races against Jen Darmody and reckons she’s got the wood on her.
Heart 4 Comment 0
No Steve. Snow ball makers are not essential!
Heart 3 Comment 0

It’s a long weekend in Tassy so there was plenty of traffic heading for the hills but that thinned out after a while. Morning tea was at Westbury where Cherie’s parents used to live many years ago. Another 15 ks on was meant to be lunch, but the 5 kilo raspberry swirl butter cake I devoured meant takeaway sandwiches for a bit later on.

Stocked up on apples
Heart 5 Comment 1
Dianne CoxHermes winged cap of invisibility.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Salad sandwiches are the best
Heart 5 Comment 2
Dianne CoxChairs?! Weight not an issue then?!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pete CoxTo Dianne CoxAlways an issue but only 600 or so grams extra
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

By now we turned onto quiet, gently undulating roads and had a clear view of the mountains that we’re climbing  in a few days time.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

It normally takes a few days to settle in to the rhythm of cycle touring. No deadlines, no phone calls, eat when you’re hungry, have a snooze in a park if you feel like it and contemplate stuff; some important, some less so. For example across from our cafe in Deloraine was Subway which had a special offer. “2 footlong subs or four six inch subs for $20”. A seemingly innocuous sign but we spent a good half hour discussing why footlong was one word and six inch was two words. Over a day you can discuss lots of equally important shit and eventually you get to your destination and feel like you’ve helped solve some of the complex issues facing our world.

Our end point today was a farm stay on a property outside of Kimberley  set in a lush valley enhanced by the six beers and Ninth Island Pinot we had pre ordered.

Langley’s training in the off season pays immediate dividends in who ends up with the single bed.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Pete CoxClearly Dennis cheated. 😂 I have evidence on video.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 89 km (55 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Tricia GrahamI love the way you write
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Penny FordLove following your adventure.
๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Penny FordThanks Penny. Absolute cracker of a day today. Heading to Devenport and the start of the actual trail
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Penny FordThatโ€™s unlike you to take a wrong track!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago