Venice, history on steroids! - Scaling the Alps to the Italian Lakes - Tally Gals - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2023

Venice, history on steroids!

Exploring St Marks Basilica and the Doges Palace

The vapporetto whisked us away from Murano to Piazza San Marco, there we waited in line to buy our tickets for St Marks Basilica. The line moved relatively quickly and soon we were standing in awe of all of the mosaic work inside and outside the Basilica. We paid 3 euro to get into the basilica and 7 euro to see the additional exhibits including the horses and the preserved artifacts.

On the way to Piazza San Marco we passed the bridge of sighs. 

The bridge of sighs. Legend goes that prisoners walking from the council room after being convicted would pass over the bridge of sighs look out the window at the lagoon and sigh at their last sight of freedom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the left of the bridge of sighs is the Doges palace with its council rooms and to the right was the prison.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The side of St Marks Basilica as we were waiting in line…
Heart 2 Comment 0
This mosaic on the entrance to the basilica tells the story of two Italian men, on the left, who went to Constantinople to retrieve (steal) the body of the apostle Mark. They put his body in a cart and covered it with slabs of pork. The Arabs were horrified by the pork shying away from it so the Italians were able to smuggle the body out in this manner.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerInteresting story.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost to the entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0
The artwork on the ceilings and walls of the basilica is all mosaic tiles
Heart 2 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerVery pretty and detailed work.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Practically every surface is covered in mosaic tiles
Heart 1 Comment 2
greta combs
All these pictures of the basilica are incredibly beautiful.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
greta combs
All these pictures of the basilica are incredibly beautiful.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
If the surface isn’t covered in mosaic then it is made of some type of marble. There was a wide variety of marble from many different places around the world.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mosaics on the floors also
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerInteresting design!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In addition to the church itself there is a museum at the basilica that houses artifacts they have preserved.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This Base was made in Brescia where we were last week. It was made by a famous lute maker and purchased by the chapel in 1791
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The family tree of the Virgin Mary
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The St Marks horses. These horses are 1800 years old and underwent restoration in 1977. After restoration they were moved inside to better preserve them while model horses now stand outside in their place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are suggestions that the horses came from the Hippodrome in Constantinople as war booty after the 4th crusade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The reproduction horses high atop the basilica’s loggia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next, we found a little place to eat lunch about a block off Piazza San Marco. There are lots of lovely places to eat right on the piazza but you pay greatly for the pleasure of eating there. Prices were about quadruple the price elsewhere for a soda or ice cream. But, you can’t beat the location.

On to the Doges Palace, we had no line there as we had a skip the line pass (17 euro). The first section of the Doges palace are the Doges personal apartments these rooms have been turned into a historical journey about the Doges of Venice, how they came to power, their role in the government, and the role of other parts of the government. The republic of Venice was created in about 697 with the first Doge. Since then there have been 120 Doges. The role of the Doge changed some over the years but the Doge was mainly a ceremonial position as he had little actual power. In the senate he had only one vote just like the other senators. Each Doge was elected by the council of 40. They also had a council of 10 that was responsible for investigating and punishing people accused of crimes. Their senate was made up of several groups that were responsible for different functions from trade to relationships with other countries.

The entry into the Doges palace with its interior courtyard
Heart 2 Comment 0
To get up to the Doges apartment you climb the famous golden staircase. The gold is on the ceiling of the staircase not on the stairs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Doges apartments do not contain any furniture they are now a history museum with explanatory panels. Each doge brought his own furniture to the apartments and when he died the family had three days to remove their furniture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This picture shows a portion of one of the explanatory panels. They were all around the room with lots of information in both Italian and English.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Next, we toured the government chambers and ante rooms. Here the rooms were covered with artwork from the 1500’s. Much of the apartments were restored after the great fire of Venice. 

The governmental chambers were very ornate with amazing artwork covering the walls and ceilings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Next, it was on to the armory with its displays of weaponry.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then, on to the rooms where people accused of crimes would plead their cases and a verdict would be dispensed. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

If the accused was not successful and they were sentenced to prison, the prison was right next door. The prisoner would walk over the bridge of sighs into the prison.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out from the bridge of sighs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the canal from the bridge of sighs
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking out toward the lagoon from the bridge of sighs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the bridge of sighs
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bridge of sighs leading into the prison
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking into a prison cell
Heart 1 Comment 0
The short doors on the left lead into prison cells
Heart 1 Comment 0
More short doorways into cells
Heart 0 Comment 0
The metal doors in the corridors looked pretty sturdy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Examples of what the sleeping arrangement would be like in the prison
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lynn WalkerFor obvious reasons, not comfortable.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
The prison courtyard, there were three different levels in the prison with many many cells.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the corridors
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ahh, fresh air we were glad to be out of the prison….

We explored some of the narrow streets around piazza San Marco looking for an atm then headed back to Murano on the vapporetto.

Out in the fresh air we discovered another entrance to the Doges palace
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the back streets of venice
Heart 1 Comment 0
A gondolier ducking under the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
He made it through unscathed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our vapporetto home, they are essentially busses on the water
Heart 1 Comment 0
The vapporetto stop near our apartment
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vaporetto taking off after dropping us off
Heart 0 Comment 0
Murano at dusk
Heart 2 Comment 0
Murano at dusk
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Laurie KoburgerWhat a day of artistic beauty! Just amazing.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago